My take on Masamoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
52100. 62RC. 10" on the edge, so about 270mm from machi to tip. Weight (with handle) and final measurements will be coming soon - I still need to to a little grinding and hand finishing. I come to think geometry-wise, it will look very much like Mario's Carter when it is finished. Maybe a notch thicker, but that is how I like it.

This one I am going to keep (I suspect once I start making knvies for sale, I won't have time to make myself a knife), but there is another blade in works that I will send for a testing to a member here and if the response is positive and the knife doesn't need any changes, I will pass it around.

Any suggestion for a handle? Octagonal or Meiji-like D?

PS: There is no dip on the edge, as it appears in the second picture. Optical illusion. I use a granite plate to check a curve on the edge and to look for any low spots.

DSC_1750.jpg

DSC_1751.jpg

DSC_1749.jpg

Marko

Thanks guys. I can't wait to finish it, so I can put an edge on it and take it to a task. This profile grew on me for the last couple of years, and since I could not afford to shell 1K for it (Masamato Honyaki), I had to make my own. :)

M

I have to throw a vote for a Meji like D. Congrats on the knife.

Why ask for suggestions for the handle? You are the Handle Master. :notworthy:

very nice Marko, I am very excited to see your work for myself sometime.

A really beautiful blade, Marko. I must say I prefer the beefier Shigi profile to the more pointy Masamoto, but that is just my preference. Finish looks impeccable as always. My vote would go to an octagonal handle on this one. Maybe a Japanese western like konosuke have on some of their knives. That would be a nice challenge for you :)

DarkHOeK

Very nice! I think one of your octos would be perfect, it deserves it!

Looks great, Marko. I am not a fan of the totally anorectic ones (at least not in the longer knives), this looks perfect to me. I also always liked the Masamoto profile even though I never actually bought one. I haven't seen a bad handle from you, so I am sure it will come out great.

Stefan

Hmm... I need to make two then, D and octagonal. I am just curious to give a D handle a try. Never made one, so it would be interesting.

M

Marko, I think this handle is right up your alley ;)

9-chefs-hires.jpg

Joking aside, that blade looks wonderful and I think a meiji D wouild be a nice change of pace -- but then again I like D handles.

k.

Thats a beauty Marko. Can't wait to see it finished. Is this the one you might bring Monday. I would love to put that knife through the paces. But if I were you I wouldn't give your first to anyone. Thats just me though, what do I know about making knives. Not much.

Cheers

Thats a beauty Marko. Can't wait to see it finished. Is this the one you might bring Monday. I would love to put that knife through the paces. But if I were you I wouldn't give your first to anyone. Thats just me though, what do I know about making knives. Not much.

Cheers

I would like to get a feedback from people who use knives professionally. I will be putting no restrictions on use, sharpening, working it hard is fine. Also, I would like people to use it for few days straight, to see how the edge holds up. The feedback would help me to make adjustments to grind, heat treatment, and other areas. I have a clear idea what I like in my knives, but I don't use knives day in day out, so this will give me an opportunity to learn something from you guys (starting this Monday, actually).

So, if it gets beaten up, no worries. At the end, I might refinish it and sell it as used or raffle it.
M

Okay, at first I was thinking...I don't need another knife, I don't need another knife, but after seeing this I am going to have to start putting away a little extra green.

Good to know, I use to cook in pro kitchens here in the city but have since taken a different path. I still cook like a pro so I think. But if you like I can give it to a good friend of mine who works as a Chef and see what his feed back would be. Then return the knife back to you. Just a thought we can speak more on Monday.

eto.

Very nice lookin Marko! D or octogonal...hmmm....normally I like octogon wa's, but nice Meiji D would be nice as well.

Beautiful Marko!
For the handle, my vote is for an octagonal because yours are just so damned nice!

OK, it seems to be more interest (for the knife I might pass around) in octagonal handle than D, so I will make D for the knife I am keeping. Out to work now. I have two days to finish this knife, including making handles and a saya. With me working very slowly (grinding the blade is the slowest), this is not much time, but I will do my best.

M

I know this is premature, but I'm in on the pass around, if you need a left-handed Canadian's opinion :D

Haha. Unfortunately, no...
Maybe I'll just visit the shop if and when I hit NYC!

That looks awesome. Also being that my interest in Masamoto's gyuto has peaked over the past few months this look great!
If a passaround happens, I would be honored to test her out at the sushi bar.

Congrats Marko!

I don't see the signup sheet anywhere for the passaround (!!!), but I'd be most definitely interested in comparing the Marko-amoto to a Masamoto in person, once business drops off a wee bit in the kitchen.

Back