First combination stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonkatsu

Reaction score
Well, now that I have decided what knife to purchase (Masakage Koishi Bunka 170), I have to start thinking about the sharpening stone.

I don't want to spend too much money. I just want a decent stone and if I can find a combination one, it would be perfect.

What are the most useful grits for a first combo? Maybe 1000/6000? I think I don't need a coarse grit since my knife is new and not damaged.

I have seen the King KW65 1000/6000 on Ebay at a good price. Is that a good choice?

I live in EU

Thanks!

King is a good entry combo stone, near bottom of price point. 1k/6k is a good combo stone, and your carbon steel with benefit from the 6k. whats your budget?

the chosera stones would a better choice i think..no sure if they have a combo stone but you could get the 1k and 5k. great stones, and i understand the prices are pretty good in the EU

Nothing to add, but as where the Choseras are concerned I would avoid the 5k. Soft and very expensive. Better have a 2 or 3k Chosera and jump to the Naniwa Snow-white 8k.
As for the coarsest one I prefer the 800, just a bit faster, and a great thinner.

I think that King 1000/6000 is a good choice when one is on a budget. Just get some sanding paper and one floor tile (or other flat surface) so that you can flatten is when it will become necessary. Just one note - there are 2 sizes of this combination stone - try to get the bigger one (which has a "normal" size, so to speak - 207x66x36mm - as it is easier to use).

I have the smaller ko-bunka from Masakage - and it is a fine knife - the bigger one would make great knife for vegetables and salad. Enjoy it.

Nothing to add, but as where the Choseras are concerned I would avoid the 5k. Soft and very expensive. Better have a 2 or 3k Chosera and jump to the Naniwa Snow-white 8k.
As for the coarsest one I prefer the 800, just a bit faster, and a great thinner.

I like a soft stone, but i only sharpen knives and am in home environement so wearing/dishing isnt a huge deal for me. good call on the 800, esp if you get a 2/3k

Please note the Chosera grit differ a bit from JIS system. The 800 is a terrific cutter, but the end result corresponds to a JIS1200. As with the others.

Back