Quantcast
Mirin question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirin question

Question Mirin question

Can anyone tell me if mirin is available with out salt added? I would like to get some that is not just for cooking and I'll be darned if I can find any reference to it being available anywhere.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I think the only way is to check every label. That being said, I don't think most brands have one that is available without salt added. The only ones that might be would be artisanal mirins (seen on Japanese cooking shows); however, I don't recall seeing any artisanal/small batch mirins at the Japanese supermarkets in my area. Even at large Japanese supermarkets, the only ones that I've seen are commercial brands. (I'll have to take a look this weekend to see if there are any artisanal/small batch mirins.)

Nowadays, most mirins that are commercially available have little to no alcohol and are essentially "mirin-style" seasoning liquids. The mirins that are fermented and contain alcohol are generally more expensive (2 to 3 times as much). I'll post again when I get a chance to go by Marukai this weekend and look through the mirin section there.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I bought mine from Kroger. Strangely enough, the ones in the specialty shops I went to didn't have it without added salt and/or msg.

I should add that I got it on the aisle with "ethnic foods". Don't ask the employees, they don't even know what corn starch is.

Kikkoman produces it tasting sweetish. But if it is absolutely without salt, I dont know
    But i would bet the one we used wasnt wine at all, but mirin flavourings as mentioned earlier.
    Whats the purpose ?

The purpose is to cook without bastardized ingredients. When I make teriyaki I want to make it properly. Good ingredients make a difference, in my experience.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Go to japan.
    In my experience you will allways do compromise something along the way.

If your in portland, you shold be able to take a walk and find it in one of the better asian markets, but you're looking for booze, not seasonings. Apparently it should be 14% alcohol, and the 1% stuff with the salt added is made that way to avoid the liquor tax, and it seems like the 1% stuff is what 99% of the world uses.
    In looking around I did come across something that sounded like it could pick up the pace or my cooking....MSG coated salt.
    good luck/post results

3/4 C sake 1/4 C sugar 2 T water
    or make a simple syrup and add sake to taste .

If you want unseasoned mirin...you buy sake. No?

Mirin is available here in L.A. without salt or added sugar but it's very difficult to find. I bought some at Marukai a few months ago. Even some of the ones that say Hon-Mirin (which should be real Mirin) are still made with seasoning, so you basically have to look at all the labels. Start with the most expensive bottles - and anything in plastic almost certainly has salt and/or corn syrup. The one I found was in a clear square glass bottle.

On the plus side, if you're using it for teriyaki the difference will be very slight to possibly none. Only when you use it in lighter cooking are the differences really apparent.