Teruyasu Fujiwara finishes: which one should I get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a Teruyasu Fujiwara knife. I was initially attracted by good stories about its cutting performance and by the Nashiji finish (also called a pear skin or snow finish) which I like.

However, in another topic (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...u-Fujiwara-how-does-it-cut?highlight=teruyasu) somebody suggested upgrading to the Maboroshi finish. As far as I can judge it from photographs, this is a hammered finish without nashiji.

Then there is the much more expensive Denka line (more than twice as expensive as Nashiji). This looks to me like a hammered finish with kurouchi.

But, as I wrote, this is hard for me to judge by the photographs. Can anyone tell me whether these descriptions of the finish are correct? Or even post a photograph?

And which finish would you get?

What style of knife are you after?

Maboroshi (chef my pic). Better finish and details on the blade, delightful risticity and they look awesome with the finger cut. He has just changed his website where you can now upgrade to hexagonal handles (magnolia or ebony) and also add sayas...great stuff and much cheaper than in shops

Just ordered a 4th Fajiwara...mini Nashiji Nakiri (130mm) as they don't offer the Maboroshi in that size, complete with Ebony handle and wooden saya. I would not want to be a spring onion a week from now! :viking:

What style of knife are you after?

I forgot to mention. A 210 mm gyuto. Indeed with a wa handle :). And I like a rustic look.

And MrOli, is the Maboroshi knife looking rustic apart from the hammer finish? It looks pretty polished to me on the pictures, but it is hard to judge.

It feels rustic, more of a silky finish than a mirror, the knife still has elements of the Nashiji finish so it is not 100% smooth either . You can spec the Wa handle on the website so it will reduce the price difference even further...the Magnolia handle seems to be a free upgrade for the Maboroshis.

You can also specify it with or without finger cut.

If you google Fujiwara Maboroshi you will see plenty of pics of a Gyuto with dark Wa handle, they are very close to what it looks like in the flesh.

If you google Fujiwara Maboroshi you will see plenty of pics of a Gyuto with dark Wa handle, they are very close to what it looks like in the flesh.

I should have thought of that myself :) . But thanks, on many pics it looks more rustic than I thought.

How do you like that finger cut? I've never seen it before and I wonder whether it is functional.

Love it as it makes the pinch grip so comfortable, some knives do need a touch of work to make the choil smoother though. Mine did not.

How do you like that finger cut? I've never seen it before and I wonder whether it is functional.

I was able to handle one of the wa 240s, and the finger cut was very comfortable. In fact, I was suprised how much i liked how/where it balanced. My initial thought was that i wouldn't care for it. Damn prejudice.

Mowgs

I have the Nashiji and love the finish on it. It has excellent edge retention and is one of the best cutters in my kitchen. I have no complaints about it at all. You can up grade to a Ho wood "D" wa handle w/plastic ferrule for free. The Ho wood octagonal handle w/buffalo horn is like $28, the Ebony octagonal handle is roughly $50.

Back