Anybody here have series 7 license?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
I will have almost 1 month to study, after I get my scheduled leg surgery on December 10, before I have to go to work again or take classes. I have decided that I want to use my time fruitfully. I figure that my first week will be pretty useless, due to pain and opiates. That gives me almost three weeks. Is this enough time to study for series 7? I have a 3.8 GPA in my MBA program (which is a top 40 program amongst public schools, so not that hard, but not that easy either) and I had no business experience before starting it. This suggests to me that I have a knack for business, but I've never really had to prove it. Series 7 a good place? I just bought the Series 7 for Dummies book, which has good reviews. I won't have trouble being sponsored, but I want to knock it out...

I don't have the 7, but I have the 65 and am a CFA working in the finance industry. I've found my MBA has zero relevance in my current line of work, nor did it help me pass either the 65 or the CFA. From what I've read the 7 is more difficult/longer then the 65 and I believe that. I think I studied for the 65 for about 2 hours a night for a month, partially due to the material and partially due to not wanting to fail (it would have been really, really awkward at work). If you put the time in to study the material, and really study the material (good bye weekends!) you can probably pull it off in 3 weeks (assuming nothing about how intelligent you are). Like I said though, the 65 isn't the 7, but they are *related* exams. You can take it as many times as you want, but do you really want to cough up close to $300 each retake?

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the info! I'm basically just trying to figure out something useful to do while I'm recuperating, and series 7 might not be the right way to go, it just kinda popped into my head as possibility while I was watching The Wolf of Wall Street. :)

I'm not trying to steer you away from it if you think it makes sense. It's a six hour, 240 question test. From a quick search, seems that most try to put in 100 hours of study (one study material provider recommends 200 - 240 hours (split between curriculum and taking practice tests/questions)).

Best of luck if you decide to jump on it. Looks like you can take it anytime, so might be best to use the 3 weeks to hammer away at the books with the thought of taking the exam in 2015. Just my 2 cents though. :)

Thanks. I'm not totally sure what I want to do yet, but your advice is definitely helpful. If I don't study up for one of the finance certs, I'll find something else. I just really don't want to let three weeks with zero responsibilities lay fallow.

If your interest is in that direction do it. Little more productive than beer & football. Had an uncle who retired as Naval Commander and became a stockbroker did quite well.

Back