Misono Molybdenum with Dimples Sujihiki Opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxChef77

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I recently ran across this knife after looking for a long thin slicer and it meets pretty much all of my requirements of what I was looking for.

I was looking at either the 270 or 300mm version and I was curious if anyone out there actually owned this knife and could give me your opinions on it?

I am also a bit wary about sharpening it myself as it has a double bevel of 70/30 as I am still very much a beginner at that. Should I simply have it professionally sharpened until I am more proficient or are there some special tools/techniques I can use to do it myself?

Thanks for your help.

can you show a link of the one you are considering?

never used one of them, the molybednum ones that is, used a Misono Swedish, and wasn't that enthralled even though it did the job fairly well, maybe get something cheaper that performs on the level of this and that you get some stones to practice your sharpening on or get this and something cheap to practice your technique on?

Sure someone will chime in that has tried/uses them but the costs seems awfully high compared to some of the other available options. Good luck!

To be fair I have been watching e-bay for these as well the last week and have seen a couple come up in the $180-$200 price range, which is much more reasonable to me. I simply linked a source that I knew had photos. I am not in a super hurry to buy so I am just trying to find some opinions of them in general. thanks for the help so far though.

I personally find Misono overpriced. Also grantons or dimples are pretty useless.

I personally find Misono overpriced. Also grantons or dimples are pretty useless.

Why do you find the dimples/grantons useless on knives? When I have used knives with them in the past, things that tended to stick to my regular knife (terrines, pates, galantines, etc.) seamed to release easier for me at least. Now that certainly may not be the case for all knives, but in my limited experience that is what has happened for me.

I have a santoku with grantons and I've given up on cutting potatoes with it because they cling to it as if it had suction cups.

If having effective grantons is of great importance, get a Glestain.

Proper technique renders dimples useless. With a heel to tip downward pulling motion, by the time you get to the tip of the knife, the product is fully sliced and the knife is so thin and short at the tip there is barely any material for the product to stick to anyway.

Back