New knife help, please :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
I have a chef's knife I like quite a bit, shopping for a new one mostly to try something else. My wife has also taken to using mine more often than her own, giving me some chance to buy another knife! Main current knife is a 9.5" yoshikane wa-gyuto, purchased several years ago. Again, I like this knife quite a bit.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Probably Japanese, but open.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I'm used to the 9.5" knife I use now, not much shorter or longer I guess...

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
No real hard max, more than 500 would mean it gets put off. So less than 500 would be ideal.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing vegetables, some meat prep. I use my current knife for portioning meats, mostly after cooking.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
9.5" yoshikane wa-gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rock, draw, slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
The yoshikane has a hammered finish, which I like, but something different would be preferable.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
A more resilient handle might be nice.
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

All the above is sorta hard to answer. I've been using the current knife for about seven years, and have no real complaints with it. Just want to try something new/different, looking for a new toy...

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Very hard to best a Yoshikane in the sub-500 category. Hard to best full stop, imho (yes, I love mine).

If you want something different, perhaps a typical Sakai "laser" might suit. Or a knife with a very different profile, for example a Masamoto KS.

There is a gesshin kagekiyo on bst now for 450.... I can tell you I love mine. Beautiful knives in person, and they fall through food. If I hadn't just bought a custom, I would have snagged that knife in a second.

I was going to say a gesshin, a kagekiyo, hide, heiji, gengetsu

You have one classic (Yoshikane SKD) why not go for another - Masamoto KS

Thanks for the early responses, it's nice to hear I've enjoyed my current knife for good reasons!

If it's hard to beat sub $500, how much higher would I need to go to get something clearly better? Since starting this thread yesterday, it occurred to me if there isn't anything I would change about my current knife, maybe I could use the basics to have a custom knife made. Sorta silly to think the third of fourth knife of my life would be the perfect one though...

I like the looks of the Masamoto KS, certainly it's at a price point that I'm comfortable in. Same thing with the BST gesshin kagekiyo.

As an aside, what does "Gesshin" mean? On Japanese Knife imports (I hope it's ok to refer to a website...) it seems like many brands are proceeded by Gesshin, but they also seem to say their house line is Gesshin... Any help here would be appreciated.

My understanding is that gesshin refers to a house brand made for them and then the following references the maker

Back