Terayasu Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I've read a number of threads on Terayasu Fujuwara knives and I've read almost only positives reviews. I also much like their looks. And that's what I've got a question about.

There's the Nashiji line (snow-look blade finish) and the Maboroshi line (hammered finish). But the Denka line has really caught my eye. It's a really rustic kurouchi hammered-look, but distinguished. And it's got Aogami Super steel instead of the white steel of the other lines. But... It's more than twice as expensive.

So I wondered: is this worth the money. I'm very interested in all your observations and experiences!

I have a Denka nakiri bought directly from the man. At the time i asked him to change it to wa handle and dismissed the finger rest. No problem for him. Actually, you can now make your handle choice directly from his site. Best OOTB edge i've seen. So far no problems with fractures on the edge. I haven't sharpened it yet, though, so can't comment on how easy it is to do it. To me, it was so worth the money i'm planning to get a 210mm gyuto Denka in the future. If his price structure were a bit less steep on the 240mm, i would get that, but the way it is, i'll take the 210mm version.

Thanks Marcelo! How is the fit and finish on the blade itself? Are the spine and the choil well finished? And how do you like the handle?

Thanks Marcelo! How is the fit and finish on the blade itself? Are the spine and the choil well finished? And how do you like the handle?

In my limited experience (Maboroshi) the spine and choil are rustic. Finished of course but a little bit of extra rounding and polishing make the knives supremely comfortable, particularly the ones with fingercuts.

The fit and finish is good IMO, not Shigefusa level though. Choil was rounded, but not completely polished. The spine has an awesome distal taper. I like the wa handle a lot, good material and well finished (his site now shows a wa handle picture for the Denka knives).

I owned a 210mm Denka western handle Gyuto. Great performer, F&F is not the best at the price point but man I just love using it at work.

My best bet is to go through other TF threads and find the people who are vets as far as purchasing TF knives and ask them. They are very helpful.
14D5C137-221E-414A-8DDE-96F0B15C0D15.jpg

Back