Formerly Chaos Board Now The Patchwork Board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
So my employee and I made four more of the Patchwork boards, formerly known as the Chaos board. A bit smaller but no less intricate and difficult to make. I didn't much care for the name Chaos so we brainstormed and came up with Patchwork for a new name. I believe it is far more fitting and doesn't sound like problems or trouble. As we were brainstorming an idea popped up and we took it to the next level. Adding long pieces once the board was completed made it look like a patchwork quilt. Adding the long pieces added two extra days of work and waiting plus cutting the board an additional two times. I believe the result was worth it.

The woods used are hard maple, mahogany, cherry and walnut, all the boards are 2" thick and 12 x 18 or 13 x 19 and all the wood is end grain. For the knife nuts out there, the boards do contain more glue than a normal board like I make and that might make a difference to some. As for me I was trying to take an idea to a higher level and create something fancier. I used maple long pieces for the first two which tended to blend in with the overall color of the board, one used cherry which also tended to blend in and the last one used walnut which made the board pop. If I do any more I will be sure to use walnut to give the board a bit more color.

DWS_0912.jpg

DWS_0911.jpg

DWS_0910.jpg

DWS_0909.jpg

I don't see them on your website? Interested in the one with the walnut spacers

They will not be on the web site, at least for now. If the interest is high enough I will add them later.

I love the look of these boards....once I get settled from my personal chaos, I will come looking for one....

All are now spoken for. If there is any further interest, please let me know.

Let's talk about the glue thing.
Personally I wash my boards pretty aggressively. I have a hard time thinking the glue is going to "stand out" after numerous cleanings. Also, if my blades can hold up to the misc foreign matter that finds it way on my board the glue is an after thought.
With that being said, looking forward to Chaos. (Sorry, I like that name better.)

Back