Umami, its a wonderful thing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear1889

Reaction score
I fixed a beef vegetable soup, about 1 3/4 of chuck cut up, with green beans, peas, turnip, potatoes, zucchini, onion, carrots, celery and cabbage. I haven't fixed it in years because I always thought it was too bland. I had a first bowl, it was ok, then I remembered everybody talking about Unami here. So I added aged soy sauce, fish sauce and worsterschire sauce to the pan stirred and served up second bowl.....ahhhh very much better. Thanks guys...

It's the soul of a dish like stew! Nice work.

Try adding a little tomato paste, early on in your next stew. I can eat that stuff by the spoonful. UMAMI BOMB

another tip:
simmer some beef stock with bay leaves, roasted mushrooms, and parmesan rind before you add it to the stew.

Parmesan rind you say? I'm going to have to give that a go...

Did you say "GUY FIERI" !?!
Spanish Dracula Repelled by Crucifix_thumb[1].jpg

Haha, ok just add a spoonful of msg, instant umami the cheating way. Easiest way to do it if you are scared of using the crystals (which are awesome btw), get a bottle of maggi seasoning.

I fixed a beef vegetable soup, about 1 3/4 of chuck cut up, with green beans, peas, turnip, potatoes, zucchini, onion, carrots, celery and cabbage. I haven't fixed it in years because I always thought it was too bland. I had a first bowl, it was ok, then I remembered everybody talking about Unami here. So I added aged soy sauce, fish sauce and worsterschire sauce to the pan stirred and served up second bowl.....ahhhh very much better. Thanks guys...

Bear, sound good but adding all those glutamic compounds can muddy the stews flavor.

My suggest next time you make it really hard sear the beef, toast your seasonings and limit adding any water. One secret to amping stews/braise is to let it cool after cooking. Then the next day reheat and add more spices.

I'm a huge proponent of MSG and other crystals as Panda calls them but by allowing the stew to mellow you'll create bolder flavors naturally.

I recently heard a story on NPR talking about MSG. Funny that they seemed to be viewed as largely negative here in the U.S. (I know MSG most from signs, typically in Chinese restaurants, that say, "NO MSG" as part of their positive advertising.) I know that glutamates in general are an important part of umami. The story (which I can't find ATM) also dispelled virtually all of the supposed negative health effects associated with MSG. Apparently they did not pass scientific muster. Anyway, I am thinking of trying to selectively and appropriately use MSG (in small amounts) as part of my cooking.

I recently heard a story on NPR talking about MSG. Funny that they seemed to be viewed as largely negative here in the U.S. (I know MSG most from signs, typically in Chinese restaurants, that say, "NO MSG" as part of their positive advertising.) I know that glutamates in general are an important part of umami. The story (which I can't find ATM) also dispelled virtually all of the supposed negative health effects associated with MSG. Apparently they did not pass scientific muster. Anyway, I am thinking of trying to selectively and appropriately use MSG (in small amounts) as part of my cooking.

I've read a couple of studies on this as well...still not quite able to get myself to buy a jar of it though....

Is this what you were thinking of? http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/10/10/2014/is-msg-bad-for-your-health.html

another tip:
simmer some beef stock with bay leaves, roasted mushrooms, and parmesan rind before you add it to the stew.

I add Parmesan rinds to just about all of my soups and stews. It really adds that little extra oomph.

just ordered my first bottle of msg off amazon after reading this thread.

Back