And They Call Him Macaroni.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
One could argue whom created pasta or the history of travel But here are so tidbits for you.

When the Greeks founded Naples, they adopted a dish made by the natives, made up by barley-flour pasta and water dried to the sun, which they “macaria”. We also find references to pasta dishes in the ancient Rome, which date back to the III century before Christ. In fact, the Roman emperor Cicero himself speaks about his passion for the "Laganum", the “laganas”, which are strips of long pasta (wheat-flour pasta shaped as wide and flat sheets). During that time, the Romans developed instruments, tools, procedures (machines) to manufacture the pasta for lasagna.

14Th century .
3EZnbD7.jpg
[/IMG]

Thomas Jefferson noted these plans for a macaroni or pasta machine while touring northern Italy in 1787. When Jefferson prepared these plans, macaroni was a highly fashionable food in Paris, where he was stationed as minister to France. He later commissioned his secretary William Short to purchase a macaroni machine in Italy, but the machine was not very durable. In later years Jefferson served macaroni or spaghetti made by cutting rolled dough into strips, which were then rolled by hand into noodles. His notes.
bAsBOMT.jpg
[/IMG]

Now more up to 1900's , Extruder.
jIyfXpo.jpg
[/IMG]

nNCgowv.jpg
[/IMG]

Now time to eat.

45xD17M.jpg
[/IMG]

rlRx0bJ.jpg
[/IMG]

Bonus photos .
dRFWxZi.jpg
[/IMG]

iO31JjS.jpg
[/IMG]

LN04PaE.png
[/IMG]
nice for making Bucatini

Sorry in the story of Cicero i said he was a emperor when in fact he was a Politician, lawyer, orator, philosopher and poet.
that likes lasagna.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Steeley

Funny, almost called you on Cicero also. Had to read quite a bit from him in school. Too bad I forgot 90% of my Latin :(

Thanks for the pictures and the knowldge, I definitely enjoy these posts.

Stefan

great pictures as always but surprised you didn't have a picture of Sophia Loren given the topic.

Always liked this one, but it is not easy to notice the Loren, given the two major distractions...

Stefan

image.jpg

Stefan i like your taste.
Sophie just came out with a book and in it she talks of the infamous picture.And a quote from her.

"Paramount had organized a party for me. All of cinema was there, it was incredible. And then comes in Jayne Mansfield, the last one to come. For me, that was when it got amazing. . . . She came right for my table. She knew everyone was watching. She sat down. And now, she was barely . . . Listen. Look at the picture. Where are my eyes? I’m staring at her nipples because I am afraid they are about to come onto my plate. In my face you can see the fear. I’m so frightened that everything in her dress is going to blow—BOOM!—and spill all over the table.

Actually, many, many times I am given this photo to autograph it. And I never do. I don’t want to have anything to do with that. And also out of respect for Jayne Mansfield because she’s not with us anymore"

h1YvpO4.jpg
[/IMG]

Sophie eating pasta.
QuqNUaq.jpg
[/IMG]

Why can't I have a pasta night like that at my house???

Back