Quantcast
Bevels! Primary and Secondary
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bevels! Primary and Secondary

Bevel votes! Primary and Secondary

Assuming there are no wierd or extra microbevels, and it is a standard 2-bevel v-grind: Which way do you use these terms for bevels:

1. The primary bevel is the bevel on the cutting edge, the secondary bevel is the next one up(closer to the spine).

2. The secondary bevel is the cutting edge, the primary bevel is the next one up(closer to the spine).

Are you in camp one or two? Whatever is the consensus will be reflected in the Glossary.

*edit* NO DISCUSSION! JUST SHUT UP AND VOTE!

Ok I"m only kidding, don't get offended. But seriously, I am just trying to discover the community consensus. I changed the name of hte post, if you guys wanna discuss(cause I do), you can start a new thread! It'll be easier that way.

i would say that the primary is always the cutting edge. makes it easy to keep things straight.

I'd refer to the larger of the bevels as the primary and the microbevel as the secondary, but it can be very confusing and the lack of one general definition is pretty frustrating

You cut the primary bevel first, then your micro bevel is the secondary bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    see, i think the primary should always be the one that cuts the food, regardless of what order they are cut. i don't use microbevels (i find the absolute steepest grind that doesn't need one and then stick to it), so maybe i'm looking at this differently than most people.

I feel that the first bevel ground is the primary, and the second bevel ground is the secondary. This is how the wood working people view it.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    No 'buts'! It's just a poll! lol.

I've got you down for group #2

I am in camp #2, the micro bevel is the secondary bevel for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I feel that the first bevel ground is the primary, and the second bevel ground is the secondary. This is how the wood working people view it.
    but wood working people also sometimes feel that the wire edge is the working edge because it's the sharpest possible edge (until it fails, anyway).

I'm in camp one. I think it's time for Dave to weigh in.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.