Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin blue 1 honyaki gyuto 240mm Aussie passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Alright, probably the last thread from me for today, sorry for spamming but I really want to get this guy out on its way before I leave.

I have being working with Sakai Takayuki for quite a while now. They have made many special knives for me as prototypes. One of which is this: Syousin Blue 1 Honyaki Gyuto in 240mm. This knife was made according to Chanop's and my taste (that's why Chanop has one as well ;p), I really like how it turned out when I see it and subsequently order a few of them hopefully they will come out very soon.

Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed this buddy for a few weeks now, and I want to give my Aussie buddies a chance to play around with it. If the interest is high enough for the US/EU, I will see if it gets a trip overseas.

Forger: Kenji Togashi (Forger of Sakai Takayuki Byakko series, Suisin Densyo series)
Sharpener: Hirotsugu Tosa (Main sharpener of my Syousin line)
Both of them are Dentou-Kougeishi (Traditional Craftsman Award).

FYI: Syousin (匠心): is the name of my custom line from Sakai Takayuki. It is currently only available to K&S, and the aim of Syousin is to vastly improve the F&F on existing Sakai Takayuki products as well as designing knife models that will be appreciated by KKF members.

So here we go:

The terms:
  • Australian KKF members registered before 10/Nov/2014, please register your interest here, I will update the list accordingly.
  • I will send out the knife to the member before 14/Nov/2014.
  • You have a week to play with it, please do sharpen it if you feel there is a need to but please make sure you know what you are doing.
  • You are responsible to pack it well and post it to the next member inline. I'd prever AusPost Express, insurance is not a must as long as you pack it well.
  • Please contact the next member via PM and arrange the postage accordingly. If you are the last person on the list, please post it back to me.

The knife:
_DSC4583.jpg

_DSC4584.jpg

_DSC4585.jpg

_DSC4589.jpg

_DSC4587.jpg

Yes please , I would love to be in for a passaround

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Thanks for the offer. I would be interested to be involved if it is not an exclusive righty.

Yes yes yes, I would love to try it out please !

Impossible to resist. Thanks James, may I please be on your list.

Cool, thanks for the interest guys. I will post it out to Mert tomorrow.

Current list:
1. chefcomesback
2. Von blewitt
3. jimbob
4. scotchef38
5. melbournites
6. Geo87
7. Sambal

Great to hear that James , I got an overdue package for you too

I'm keen as well, if I'm not too late, but I'll be away (and off the grid) during the last two weeks of November.

If you decide to cross the big water to the U.S. I would love to try it out.

damn Australia, LOL jk, just wish I could get in on this

I will queue up once it is back at home around the burb :spiteful:

If you decide to cross the big water to the U.S. I would love to try it out.

I'd love to join the lineup if it gets to this side of the pond myself.

Cheers on a beautiful knife!

I'd love to join the lineup if it gets to this side of the pond myself.

Cheers on a beautiful knife!

No worries guys, I will definitely get it to the other side of the pond once it come back to me :D

OK, knife went out to Mert via DHL today.

Updated list:1. chefcomesback
2. Von blewitt
3. jimbob
4. scotchef38
5. melbournites
6. Geo87
7. Sambal
8. Dusty
9. malexthekid
10. SYDNEY guys

No worries guys, it is never too late! just have to sign up.

I think I will arrange it in a way that, ones Huw finish his go, it goes to Jim then all the Melb guys, before it goes to QLD, followed by ACT and SYD. So for example, as long as the knife is still in Melbourne, then any Melb guys should be able to sign up. Just to save some logistics cost.

Sorry for late update guys , I have received the knife on Thursday , since then I have used at home for a lunch prep and did some reference test to compare against some other knives , it came with a good edge , didn't notice any degrading whatsoever yet , I am not going to sharpen for the sake of it . I am most likely to ship it to Huw tomorrow , thank you James for this opportunity

It's on it's way to Huw , thank you again James

I recieved the knife from Mert last Tuesday, I used it for a variety of tasks over the week, and really enjoyed it. It feels quite tall for the length, which isn't usually my preference, but the profile is nice and it didn't bother me.
I sharpened it today, it didn't "need" it, but I was interested to try it on the stones, and it feels really nice. I finished it up to 8k, I'm interested to hear how the edge holds up.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it James, I enjoyed using it

I'll send it out to Jimbob tomorrow

I have to apologise for being slack, I haven't had a chance to get to the PO the last few days. Work has been manic! It'll be going into the post first thing tomorrow.
Sorry for slowing things down.

hi guys, wondering where about is the knife? :D

Back