Shopping for a new Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankchef

Reaction score
You guys did a damn good job informing me on what exactly to look for in a great Gyuto, next on my list is a Petty.
I've been looking at a Kikuichi elite carbon 150mm.

Mainly it's going to be my Garlic//Shallot//Brunoise knife.

have any of you ever used this knife? Any better suggestions? I really don't want to spend more than 100-150 USD on it

i was told to not spend a whole lot on a petty since they get beat up. I took that advice and got the Tanaka VG10 petty. was $65 USD shipped from metal master. not sure if you are interested in SS, i saw you mentioned you were looking at a carbon version

took 3 weeks to get it, but its really nice. Tanaka does a really good job heat treating the VG10 stainless steel. Easily the easiest stainless steel knife i have ever sharpened. good stuff.

You will have tons of choice, do you want it stainless or carbon? You may also want to consider a tall petty for better knuckle clearance you are going to assault garlic with it, check the Murata Buho pettys...cheap, tall, good steel and made well (blade).

Back