Pros and Cons of Different Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordanp

Reaction score
So In the near future may be looking into replacing my current sujihiki. Not looking for specific recommendations at the moment but want to know the Pros and Cons of different types of sujihiki being more laserish like the gesshin ginga or with a larger bevel being more substantial like the kochi line. Specifically Id like to know what each kind excels at and what downfalls it might have so in future I can buy one that fits most with my current tasks.

Thanks saw that thread but was more looking between what a laser or a more substantial sujihiki excel at.

Jordanp, are you pretty good at thinning knives? Sujis are a little more difficult to thin than gyutos for me to thin so I try to make sure I get really thin behind the edge sujis to make my life easier down the road. Laser sujis have the same advantages/disadvantages laser gyutos have. Great cutting/falling through food with ease but there usually is stiction that can slow down your work.

A thin suji will have significantly more flex which may or may not be a problem. I find my white yusuke suji particularly useful for trimming and portioning delicates. Removing skin from fish is a breeze and I don't mind the added flex in this situation. I have used mine for filleting fish a few times although there are probably better options for this.

I find that its not so great for carving up crusty meaty goodness. Sure it can do the job but with a bit of flex and a delicate edge it just doesnt feel sturdy enough to feel comfortable. I have a sturdier, thicker, stiffer custom en route courtesy of del which I'm eagerly awaiting to use to carve everything I can find and I can maybe compare how it handles for trimming after some serious use.

I previously tried using a suisin 210 suji to use on the line and the flex truly bothered me with this knife for even simple tasks although it's also possible that I just didnt make it as sharp as it should have been. I now use an itinomonn 210 which is a lot sturdier and carbon steel which sharpens easily and feels more reliable in hand. I much prefer to use this over the suisin.

So In the near future may be looking into replacing my current sujihiki. Not looking for specific recommendations at the moment but want to know the Pros and Cons of different types of sujihiki being more laserish like the gesshin ginga or with a larger bevel being more substantial like the kochi line. Specifically Id like to know what each kind excels at and what downfalls it might have so in future I can buy one that fits most with my current tasks.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what tasks you want to use it for.

I can tell you my HHH suji is just great. Love that knife.

One of the first knives I got was a Masamoto KS 270 mm Sujihiki. Not having a clue of what I was getting into I think I was very lucky. I love its feel; it is light, easy to sharpen even with my ignorance, it has developed a beautiful bluish patina (I mostly use it for fish and vegetables) and I love its shape and looks. I confess that I like it so much that never felt the need to get a second sujihiki.

Are you going to use it for proteins only? In that case a very thin blade doesn't make much sense. No knife will wedge with raw meat. Some feel uncomfortable with the flexibility of a thin knife.

I would be using it mostly for proteins both cooked and raw as well as occasionally slicing fruit, veg., etc. but yes mostly for proteins. Flexibility isn't too much of an issue atm for what I do and labor of love brings up a good point about thining the knife as I don't have too much experience with larger bevels especially on sujihiki that a more substantial one may have as I've only thinned things like my misono dragon.

I am so biased towards my Masamoto KS 270 that I feel I am becoming annoying... Here is a pic using it while preparing shirazi

MasamotoSujihiki_zpse3abf5a1.jpg

Interesting.. I don't have any actual cooking training so I could be totally wrong. With yanagi slicing, I've seen sushi chefs use the pointer grip and basically keep their wrist still and move their whole arm back in a big circle (elbow doesn't move much either). They start at the heel with the tip pointed a little upwards. That's the technique I've been using with my suji also for this type of slicing. I prefer it over having the blade parallel to the board while doing a pull cut.

Back