Which Knife Should I Buy? Completed Questionnaire.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteyh

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Chefs knife/Santoku + pairing knife

Are you right or left handed? Left handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Doesnt matter as long as it fits, I have big hands :laugh:

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8-10 inches

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Not sure

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? I would love to spent under 100 Euro for both knifes.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? At home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None worth mentioning

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used. Rock, Slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Doesnt matter

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Should be usable out of the box, easy/cheap to maintain, less use of stones

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) I am planning on getting a new cutting board as well, any suggestions? Shouldnt be too expensive.
I am looking at 2 different colors of these

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) I have learned how to hone my knifes properly but no real sharpening

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes if not too expensive.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Since I am a student and living on a budget you might have noticed that the price plays a very important factor. I would love to invest more into really good knives but I just dont have the money YET. :D

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done some research and I am thinking about getting a Victorinox Chefs & Pairing Knife together with a ceramic honing rod. Any suggestions/advise on better knives in that price range?

yea the Victorinox pairing knife is so cheap, and a good little knife

Thanks! I am not really sure whether to get the Santoku or the Gyuto since I don't have a real preference because I haven't worket with a Gyuto yet.

I would get the gyuto if I was you, it is more versatile than a santoku,

Well, there are two different forms of left-handed versions. One is some neutralized right-biased one, recentered, with the left face somewhat thinned (convexed). The other one is with an inverted grinding, right face flat, left one convexed, edge off-centered to the right. Expect a premium of some 25%. I would strongly advice the second solution.

It is only a 10% price increase for the fujiwara if it is a left handed version.

Be shure it's a really left-handed version and not a neutralized right-handed version, with just an adapted edge.

Be shure it's a really left-handed version and not a neutralized right-handed version, with just an adapted edge.

So I wrote them a mail and this is their answer: "Maker Fujiwara will make the proper edge shape for left handed version at 10% up price from the regular one. The edge shape is adjusted for left handed version. If you would like the 100% left handed version (Blade grind angle and edge shape are adjusted for left handed version, we can recommend Misono items)."

So would you suggest not getting the fujiwara then?

Thanks for all the help so far!

No, better have a truly adapted left-handed version. Beside the Misono, you may get a left-handed Masahiro Virgin Carbon with JCK as well. Although they don't advertise them, they can deliver. Ask Mr Koki Iwahara.

Or consider a 1922 by Robert Herder, Solingen, with knivesandtools.de,
or a Thiers-Issard with
theinvisibleedge.co.uk, both around €100.

Thanks for all the help Benuser! I am considering the 1922 by Rover Herder (This one right?)since it is really easy to order because it is coming from within Germany (no import tax etc...).

I have just a few more questions.
The knife is properly a 50/50 one so its not "hand specific" right?
What extra care does that knife need since it is not stainless?
Would you recommend getting a stone with that knife as well?
Can you recommend a good, cheap cutting board? I feel like the one we have in our apartment right now makes the knifes dull.

Back