Pre-conditioning end-grain board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobblybook

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Apologies if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find a more suitable one.

So I recently purchased a beautiful end-grain board for my parents as a Christmas gift (this one here), as well as some mineral oil + beeswax to mix and use at either 3:1 or 4:1 ratio.

I was wondering if I should be conditioning the board using pure mineral oil to begin with, and only using the beeswax mix as a sort of final coat and maintenance from thereon out. I thought this would be a simple piece of information to find on the internet, but I guess I was wrong!
I'm sure it won't matter a whole lot either way, but since I have access to both it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hey, looks familiar. Is that from Andrej (MTMWood)? In that case you don't need to pre-condition it at all. It is already well-conditioned.

Hey, looks familiar. Is that from Andrej (MTMWood)? In that case you don't need to pre-condition it at all. It is already well-conditioned.

No, it's actually from Martin Jones (Pennsylvania, USA). I was thinking about getting a boardsmith based on the reputation, but this guy's boards just looked so beautiful I thought I would take a chance and try one out: http://www.jonescuttingboards.com/gallery-of-recent-orders.html

I only saw one or two mentions of him on this forum from a search, but from what little I've read, they are excellent quality and competitively priced.

It has already been treated prior to me receiving it, so yeah maybe I will just go with the beeswax mix right from the start.

(Standard disclaimer, I have nothing to do with him, nor any relationship other than being a first time customer!)

Call and ask the maker if he pretreated with mineral oil. BoardSmith submerges his boards before sending them out, and even then I've found they will take up a bit more mineral oil.

Call and ask the maker if he pretreated with mineral oil. BoardSmith submerges his boards before sending them out, and even then I've found they will take up a bit more mineral oil.

He has (with that howard's butcher block stuff). But I was wondering if it would take any more oil and you've pretty much convinced me that it might. I'm wondering if I should try rubbing it with pure oil to begin with, or just go straight to the oil/wax mix.

If it's not conditioned well enough, rub multiple layers of oil onto it. Don't use wax yet. Only when the board is saturated, finish it off with oil/wax.

I generally do a few coats with the mineral oil and only do the beeswax/oil combination (commonly referred to as board butter or conditioner, and the exact ratio may vary, but 4:1 is one I've often heard) for the final coat. Then I'll do occasional mineral oil touch ups until the board seems thirsty enough to start the process again.
The oil generally makes the wood a bit darker, so when it's looking a lighter color, it's telling you it's time for some care.
After oiling/waxing, the most important thing is to NEVER soak. You can generally wipe it clean, and can use solutions of vinegar or bleach for more significant cleaning. If it needs soap and water, just do it under running water, and towel dry it immediately.
BTW, welcome to KKF, and that's a nice present!

No, it's actually from Martin Jones (Pennsylvania, USA). I was thinking about getting a boardsmith based on the reputation, but this guy's boards just looked so beautiful I thought I would take a chance and try one out: http://www.jonescuttingboards.com/gallery-of-recent-orders.html

I only saw one or two mentions of him on this forum from a search, but from what little I've read, they are excellent quality and competitively priced.

It has already been treated prior to me receiving it, so yeah maybe I will just go with the beeswax mix right from the start.

(Standard disclaimer, I have nothing to do with him, nor any relationship other than being a first time customer!)

wow, really good prices there. might check them out.

I oiled my Boardsmith board 3x over 3 days right after I received. Then board butter. Absorbed all of it.

Alright thanks guys. I will see how much oil it will take, then use the wax afterwards. I'll have time to condition it prior to Christmas so I'll see how it goes - I'm sure parents will love it!

Beautiful looking board. I'm considering upgrading my board to an end-grain and this looks perfect. Any updates on how much oil the board ended up taking and how it performs after a few days? Also, for curiosity sake, how heavy is the final weight of the board?

lol.....small world! Did you find JonesCuttingBoards through Etsy? I purchased two of his boards through his Etsy listing (JCustomWoodworking) a couple of months ago. One end grain cherry and one edge grain cherry -- beautiful boards! My daughter liked them so much, I ordered her a set yesterday that included a round edge grain instead of square.

I went with walnut oil instead of mineral. He states his boards come preconditioned but I still did walnut oil 1x a day for a week, then 1x a week for a month and then protected it with the walnut oil/wax mixture. The edge grain really didn't soak up much but the end grain sure did. It did darkened them a bit to a very nice, deeper cherry color.

I have a walnut board on the way. I was actually thinking about the same thing regarding the oil/beeswax. I'll probably coat with mineral oil twice a day for a week and see how it looks then may go with the mineral oil/beeswax mixed at 4:1.

Sorry guys. I didn't get any emails or notifications from the forum that anyone replied, assumed my last post was the most recent in the thread!

An update for anyone interested:
I have covered it in mineral oil and spread it with a clean cotton rag (re-spread/reapplied every hour or so, the edges tend to "dry" faster due to uneven application; me spreading it from a puddle in the centre). Flipped it over, same on the back. It sat like this for about 3-4 hours (half each side), then back in the box it came in sitting on bubble wrap, let the remaining oil soak in overnight. It's a Christmas gift for my parents so I need to hide it from them, and mum gets home around 1pm. Boo!

In the morning it's almost all soaked in, only the spots where the bubble wrap was physically contacting the board, is it still wet. So far have done this every morning (3 times total). Will repeat until it slows down, then use my 2:1 oil:beeswax. I'm in no rush, still a month until Christmas! :doublethumbsup:
I can take some nice photos if anyone is interested. Possibly after the beeswax rub. It really looks great, I'm so impressed & happy with this board.

There is also a SLIGHT staggering of the pieces, I forget the term for this. (I just looked it up, running bond)... though it's just a very small offset, much like this. According to wikipedia, this one is a "raking stretcher bond".
It's very slight and from pictures it looks like a straight assembly, but it's not. I can take close up detailed pics tomorrow morning.

Any updates on how much oil the board ended up taking and how it performs after a few days? Also, for curiosity sake, how heavy is the final weight of the board?
Read above for what I've done so far, it's used up around 100mL over these three days. Some of that is obviously wasted on my hands/cloth, but I squeezed as much out as possible so I'd say it's close to 100. Not sure how much more it will take, I'll keep you updated.
It feels solid, but not uncomfortably heavy for moving around the kitchen. For reference, the size is 18"x12"x1.5" (haven't measured it myself, but that was the order size).
I didn't weigh it beforehand, but I can weigh tomorrow morning and let you know.

lol.....small world! Did you find JonesCuttingBoards through Etsy? I purchased two of his boards through his Etsy listing (JCustomWoodworking) a couple of months ago. One end grain cherry and one edge grain cherry -- beautiful boards! My daughter liked them so much, I ordered her a set yesterday that included a round edge grain instead of square.
Yeah I did actually... I was very interested in those specific boards you bought! They look incredible, that cream/peach patchiness makes me so jealous. Is that the one with the seasonal wood? I remember him mentioning one of the patterns in a specific wood was only obtainable during Autumn. I ended up settling on walnut/cherry.

I have a walnut board on the way. I was actually thinking about the same thing regarding the oil/beeswax. I'll probably coat with mineral oil twice a day for a week and see how it looks then may go with the mineral oil/beeswax mixed at 4:1.
Those walnut boards look really nice. I fell in love with this one below, but decided to get something slightly different for parents.
il_fullxfull.245586740.jpg

Definitely do the pure oil first, beeswax later, as was suggested by others to me. I think if you used a beeswax mix from the start, the oil would keep soaking in and you'd end up with a buildup of excess wax on the surface. This way you can be very generous with the oil and give as much as it needs, and at the same time just add the perfect amount of beeswax/oil at the end to finish.

I will post pics of mine when I get them done -- maple and walnut and then probably some tulip poplar. Best to stagger the joints between blocks, otherwise the inevitable expansion and contraction will cause them to split along the "seam" between rows of blocks as my brother's did recently.

Mine won't show much grain variation in either the walnut or the maple, it was what was lying about in the shop, only used on "good" walnut board. We no longer have a sawmill, so I have to be careful with what I have.

Peter

OK so I can't take any photos or do any measuring because it seems I can't count to 7... it's Saturday today. Will take some after the weekend!

Has anyone used Paraffin wax mixed with mineral oil instead of beeswax?

Thanks for this info! Some seriously nice looking boards!

Do you know of any other nice shops for boards that would be in EU or close/in Benelux to save something on shipping and customs?

Back