Murray Carter meets Darkhoek

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
Brand: Murray Carter
Style: 5.1 sun Stainless Fukugozai Funayuki
Handle: Maple burl from Burl Source
Ferrule: Musk Ox Horn
Polish and rehandle: Darkhoek

Before:
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...chives/51-sun-stainless-fukugozai-funayuki-ho

Now:
1310900808-1.jpg

1310900825-2.jpg

Gonna do some measurements later on. I bought this from another forum user here at KKF. It was a gift to my GF, who is not that into knives nor cooking. However she loves this knife, its a perfect length to her.

So far I also love this knife. Murray Carter is absolutely a master when making knives, and Im truly impressed by the work. Its the best small knife in my kitchen, and the profile and the geometry is perfect for me and my GF. Its sharp like hell, after Darkhoek has been sharpening it on the naturals :)

Compared to my DT ITK 150 Petty and a lot of other great pettys this is the winner (by far). Gator says this about it:
- Thinner than or Miroshi Deba, but the blade is wider. Standard definition is that the knife was specifically made for fisherman for ease of handling on the boats. However, some makers use the same term for thin, double grind knives, more like Gyuto style knife. Link: http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/type/Funayuki.shtml

Its a knife I recommend for those who want to have a smaller guyto in their home. Girls love the size, and Im also very impressed. My GF only use this knife now, and she uses it to everything

About Darkhoeks work:
I have seen a lot of different handles, and Darkhoek is one of the best. Ill take some more pics when I got camera, cause I just got my phone now. The size is perfect and it is a little bit more heavy than the original ****** handle from Murray. The burl is amazing and so is the musk ox horn.

All in all:

Im getting another Carter. I LOVE the profile and geometry. Im also impressed by the food release. Nothing sticks to the blade, and its amazing. Its an impressive cutter, consider the size. Darkhoek is getting more orders from me. Ive already ordered the same handle to my next Carter. Gotta love Darkhoek :)

That just makes me happy! Beautiful Harald and Øivind!

Looks sweet, I keep thinking about rehandling mine, and this may have just tipped me over, are Murray's handles just burnt on? Wondering if I'd be able to just knock the old handle off?
Hard to tell from the pic but is the handle tapered at all? Measurements would be nice :)
Congrats on a blade that has performance and now looks to go with it

I should be more specific. For this line, they're burnt on and I believe for the KU, as well. For the HG and "better" lines, he epoxies them into place.

The handle tappers beautifully :)
Im spoiled with lots of high end handles, and this one is right up there. Gotta say Im lucky to live so close to Darkhoek.
My GF loves the handle as it fits her hands perfect. Darkhoek made this for her. The perfect knife for girls.

Gonna do some measurements tomorrow and get a good camera. I must say that all other small knives mr Carter has made the perfect one.
I have Ittosai Stain-Resistant Layered Steel Petty Knife 135, DT ITK 150 Petty and a lot of other small knives. So far the winner in my kitchen is Carter.
Im going for a 180-190 Carter as fast as Jason replies my PM :p

What a sweet looking knife. Really beautiful work on the handle.

My iPhone does not justify the beautiful work by Harald. But bad pictures are better than no pictures:

Here is the knife in my hand:
1310910298-4.jpg

Here is how Harald does it. He does not just glue the horn, spacer and wood together like lesser handlemakers use to. He puts a lot of effort in making a high end handle that can take a lot of beating. Im a sucker for details, and here is an example of perfection:
1310910284-3.jpg

I love the work of Harald, and Im going to order more from him. A lot more! God Im glad he lives just a couple of blocks away :)

Oivind,
You and Darkhoek really did that Carter justice!
I'm glad you got it, it was a little short for me but now I have a 6.9 Sun Carter and am very happy with it.

Glen

Thanks Glen. However Darkhoek did all the work :)

I hope you are happy with your new Carter :) It was a pleasure doing biz with you. And you should know that Im very happy with the deal :)

Thanks Marko. It means a lot to me coming from the handle master :)

DarKHoeK

great and awesome job as usual Darkhoek....

Wow, that knife looks good!
Beautiful handle work by Harald.

Thanks Mark. You just keep those magnificent burls coming.
It's the best wood I have ever used and it really makes handle making a lot of fun.
I will hopefully be able to score some nice pieces from your latest batch before it is all ripped away. :D

And thanks Rio. I have made some good progress the last few days.

DarKHOeK

That's a beautiful handle,love the horn........How come there's no pics of your girlfriend holding it:sofa:

will try to get some shots of her later :)
Im going to drop by darkhoek soon, for measurements and pics! He is also doing a new knife for me! :)

Gonna call Darkhoek tomorrow.

Untill then:
1311102651-bilde-17.jpg

Used it on the avocado, didnt stick at all :)
A little to short for me, but perfect for my girlfriend. Glad she likes the small things in life :p

Back