one knife to rule them all...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so, i just left australia on route to london and i have about 20kgs of knives at home that won't be coming with me.
i'm roaming asia at the moment but i'll be looking for a job in london in january and need to pick a new knife to start with.

initially i was thinking a masakage aogami super bunka but then i was worried it might be too delicate to use for everything so maybe a ryusen blazen santoku. buuut japanesechefsknife.com is sold out of those so i was looking at other sg2 knives and saw some bob kramer henkels santoku that looked pretty cool until i read a review saying it chipped and suggested i should go for the 52100 rather than the sg2.

anyway, long story short, i'm pretty indecisive and i want something that will be able to perform to an elite level and be able to cope with a hard slog.

anyone have any suggestions or recomendations?

Wellcome to KKF Simon!

Before we start with our well-meant recommendations maybe you could fill in the questionnaire so that we better know what is that you really need.

I think your initial nod to a bunka, and that bunka in particular, was spot on. It seems a great 85% solution until you get established in London. Transportable and somewhat stashable. (And placing it amongst your gear edge side out is great medicine against pilfering!) You can always find a house knife lying around for the rough stuff.

Cheers,

Rick

I think your initial nod to a bunka, and that bunka in particular, was spot on. It seems a great 85% solution until you get established in London. Transportable and somewhat stashable. (And placing it amongst your gear edge side out is great medicine against pilfering!) You can always find a house knife lying around for the rough stuff.

Cheers,

Rick

Are you talking about the 170mm one?

I am a big fan of the Masakage koishi bunka. Agile smaller knife that works well in a multipurpose role. The tip does feel a bit fragile, but edge with Aogami super is excellent. I use it in a home kitchen, so I can't speak to how if would hold up in a pro environment.

Why not try a hirimoto 190mm AS santoku? They are quite durable and is stainless clad with a aogami super core.

somewhere in europe by the time i buy it

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? santoku/bunka

Are you right or left handed? right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? not fussed

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? no longer than 210mm for the time being

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $600

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? professonal

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) multipurpose to an extent. i wont be putting it anywhere near bones, pumpkins, frozen stuff etc....

What knife, if any, are you replacing? a few ryusen blazens, masamotos, mizunos, misonos and much much more

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Push-Cut, Rock , Slice, Draw

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) razor sharp and presise, durable enough for heavy use but delicate enough for michelin star kitchens

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? not fussed, i'm after performance over astetics

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? i like a relativly light knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? the longer the better obviously but i generaly put it to the stones once a week if not more. i don't like to use steels

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
i'm guessing i'll be using synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
i'll need to buy a couple new stones as well but i'll probably have to start with a 1000/3000 and then get more once i have an income

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

i'll be starting off in a cafe or something for maybe a month till i settle in and find somewhere to live and then i'll be finding something in fine dining. i've worked all sections beside pastry but i imagine i'll be starting on larder?

yeah the 170 koishi. i'm just a little worried about it chipping. i don't want to have to put focus that could be put on my work on taking extra care of a super fragile knife.

Your budget allows for a really large range of knives :) Did you consider some of the Carter knives - I have one and it performs great. Accidentally I also have Masakage Koishi ko-bunka. The AS really keeps a nice edge for a long time (longer than the Carter actually, but I still prefer the Carter :) ). The Koishi is well made, thin and cuts well. However I barely use it for other stuff than cheese and salami - tasks I specifically bought it for.

Another interesting option could be the Itinomonn 180 santoku (carbon clad V2 or stainless clad semi-stainless) from Maksim @ JNS (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/) or even the 190 KU Bunka. Maksim is in Denmark and ships with DHL Express - you would have the knife within 2-3 day from ordering.

I would personally recommend a fujiwara teruyasu santoku from his maboroshi line. He is by far one of the best smiths that works with stainless clad shiro-ko steel. I have a gyuto and a petty by him. They are thin enough to almost be a laser, but surprisingly durable enough to handle almost anything.

ooohhh that fujiwara teruyasu looks pretty epic. anyone else used one? i think that's jut shot into the lead. cheap enough that i could buy a second knife as well.

Back