Plated Protein Slicers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haburn

Reaction score
These AEB-L steak knives are all getting very nice handles and sayas. I've been wanting to make a nice steak knife with a saya for mobility. I'm finally getting some time to do it. :running:
On the saya I'm going to offer is a free name engraving.
For handles, they'll be getting a down sweeping tail.
Woods will most likely be: redwood burl, mango, and the other two haven't been decided. If you guys have any slick ideas feel free to send them. Thanks!

rGHXsXIl.jpg

Thanks Marc, I think they're going to pretty little beasts. :viking:
No more dull "knife" when you're out at a steak house. These are going mobile!

Just in time for early x mas shopping.

Ian, How about use a material that can be washed in the dishwasher? I could use a new set of steak knives but I can't pamper them too. Got to draw the line somewhere. Would riveted Pakawood hold up? Maybe just some nice scales on a rust resistant blade? Also, are you making them smooth or serrated edge? Serrated will be more practical. Looking forward to the progress on these.

Ian, How about use a material that can be washed in the dishwasher? I could use a new set of steak knives but I can't pamper them too. Got to draw the line somewhere. Would riveted Pakawood hold up? Maybe just some nice scales on a rust resistant blade? Also, are you making them smooth or serrated edge? Serrated will be more practical. Looking forward to the progress on these.

I think this is the answer I'm looking for. :lol2:

Not to be mucho opposite, but I am hoping you go with nice figured wooden handles, not some sort of corian.

Of course it's just one perspective, and I doubt these are inexpensive, so I don't suspect I will take them all.

All joking aside, I plan on using stabilized woods. There might be one that has a red reconstituted stone spacer and that's about as crazy as I plan on getting.

Stones in the dishwasher...who would have thought. You have to appreciate Mucho's sense of humor. He is meticulous with his stuff. If we wasn't so busy taking care of his kids, he'd probably handwash everything. I know you said carbon fiber was a pain to work with, but I like the idea with Aeb-l. What do I know. Looking forward to what you come up with Ian.

Corian would hold up in the dishwasher right? I'm totally serious about making them more utility knives. Sure I'd love four hand crafted SS blades with fancy woods but something that doesn't need pampering for me would be most useful.

Either way looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Absolutely love Ian's hand work and will be purchasing more for sure

Stones in the dishwasher...who would have thought. You have to appreciate Mucho's sense of humor. He is meticulous with his stuff. If we wasn't so busy taking care of his kids, he'd probably handwash everything. I know you said carbon fiber was a pain to work with, but I like the idea with Aeb-l. What do I know. Looking forward to what you come up with Ian.

No carbon fiber for this round. Now, I'm thinking a carbon fiber Western gyuto with a polished AEB-L blade would be pretty sweet.

What steak would want to be sliced by that. Nice Ian. So maybe carbon fiber down the road? Promising.

The handle on #2 is spalted maidou burl I just got back from stabilizing.

Thanks Ian. That burl is pretty sweet. Are these on your website or are they selling as you make them ?

Thanks Ian. That burl is pretty sweet. Are these on your website or are they selling as you make them ?

I'm going to put these two on my website together. I'll post here on Sunday with the time that they will be available in my store on Monday evening. That way nobody has to wait around the computer and most will be home from work.

Unfortunately I don't have time to finish the other two as I have to start a custom order and get knives finished for a show I have next week.

I'll have these available in my store HERE, tomorrow at 7pm PST.

5acD2Q7l.jpg

4SfwnAsl.jpg

rZD7LR7l.jpg

7MINBuGl.jpg

Back