takeda stainless clad sasanoha

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried/own one of these yet, wonder if the grind is the same. Unfortunately my new work environment calls for a normal length stainless cladded gyuto, no more 270 cow sword.

Hes mainly interested in choil shots. Panda prefers the crazy new school takeda grind as opposed to the old school super thin behind the edge style. My exec has a sasanoha stainless clad, but he just had a baby literally yesterday so he's probably gonna be out of pocket for a few days. But Ill try and take choil pics whenever I can.

This is a Takeda Aogami Super Stainless clad Sasanoha 250 mm that I ordered specially to be made in that length directly from Takeda in Japan. I received it a couple of months ago. The knife is 250 mm long. The spine seems to be 2mm most of its length but I do not have a micrometer so that is the best I can do. The blade is 49 mm tall right after the handle. It is 50/50 beveled and it still has the original grind and sharpening that Takeda did.

20141117_170623_zpsuwglcwkq.jpg

20141117_170550_zpslczkwk1a.jpg

20141117_170455_zpsgb7ck8k3.jpg

Nice knife. Bit off topic, but how long did the special order take? Easy to work with?

Thx!

Has anyone tried/own one of these yet, wonder if the grind is the same. Unfortunately my new work environment calls for a normal length stainless cladded gyuto, no more 270 cow sword.

It's off topic, but just curious if you are saying that a 270 was forbidden in you kitchen? or just that something changed and it's not a good choice anymore?

I think the new (read: crap) geometry* is more pronounced on the shorter (at heel) knives, like the Sasanoha. The calling-card concavity seems to very hit and miss these days.

*Disclaimer: I owned a Takeda gyuto (purchased 2008, when they were almost certainly pumping out fewer knives). I quite liked it, but it wasn't a game changer.

What's the issue with your old knife at your new job? How come you can't use a 270? Or is it the carbon..?

I think the new (read: crap) geometry* is more pronounced on the shorter (at heel) knives, like the Sasanoha. The calling-card concavity seems to very hit and miss these days.

Sorry, English is not my first language. I know what concavity is, but don't see it on the choil shot. And what is calling-card concavity?

Exactly. Takeda knives typically were very thin, and had a pronounced concavity (hollow) hammered/forged in, which seems to be absent in a lot of the new ones he is putting out.

By "calling card" i just meant that it was a characteristic that used to distinguish his knives somewhat.

nevermind, i realized that because of my strong dislike for stainless steel (even if it's just the cladding, it feels offensive on stones!), i would end up hating it in the end. will order a custom classic instead.

Yeah.. im discovering I don't like stainless knives or cladding myself. Iron cladding is very easy to grind in comparison, though again I prefer mono blades for reactivity concerns. I'm thinking of going custom for my next gyuto

Yeah.. im discovering I don't like stainless knives or cladding myself. Iron cladding is very easy to grind in comparison, though again I prefer mono blades for reactivity concerns. I'm thinking of going custom for my next gyuto

I enjoy monosteel myself, but just thinned my Tilman 1,2442 and I all I could think about was how nice iron clad knives are for thinning.

Panda, hit up Mr Magnus for pics, he ordered special geometry on his and I bet you could do the same. May save you the initial thinning job?

Latest posts

Back