Out of the wood shop, into metal mode! New press build!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
So as of late, I haven't been forging damascus. A friend and fellow knifemaker, whose shop space I rented, decided to raise his rates, for a few different reasons. The one that got me was his expectation for recognition/branding on my work for the use of his space. I payed rent for the space, and equipment use, and do all the work... Oh well, I could rant, but on with this build!!
The inspiration for this build comes from a couple sources. Walter Sorrels has videos on YouTube showing his press. That is the one I want! It looked functional, compact, low center of gravity (some designs have the cylinder over the dies, creating a tall, top heavy build) and powerful!
Shortly after seeing those videos, Randy (HHH Knives) unveiled his new press. Pretty near the same one, so I contacted Randy, and Jr., and they were kind enough to help me figure it out. (Thank you Randy, I appreciate your help!) So with photos in hand, I sat down, and drew out the plans to scale to build it. Acquired the steel, and am finally getting at it!
Some of the pieces of steel.

Welding the eyes for the ram to connect to.

Frame laid out. The frame will double as the tank for the hydraulic oil.

Inner frame is going to be doing all the work, positioned/test fit.

Starting to take shape!

I wish I was awesome at everything....

Now I just need the motor and pump and I'm done! Taking longer than I hoped, but why rush a good thing?

Like Lefty implied, it's humbling to see how talented and capable you are at so many things. Can't wait to see pics of this in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back