Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do the 3 circles mean?

What do the 3 circles mean?

I'm sure that I am the only one who doesn't know this, but what is the significance of the 3 circles that appear on Carter, Kramer, and some other knives?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Mitsuboshi Trademark symbol for "three stars", registered in the 3rd year of the Keicho era (1598).

From Carters site.

Thanks, but that doesn't really tell me much.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

The first circle represents PEACE: The tranquility of artisian and his/her craft, the union between the maker and creation

The second circle is STRENGTH: The passion and power singularly focused into manipulating matter led by the spirit and soul

The third circle is ENLIGHTENMENT: The total sum of all that is created joined together in complete harmony as maker become one with his/her creation.
    PS: Just kidding, I have no idea what these mean

From kramerknives.com

"The number three is a magic number in many cultures and it plays a big role in my heat treatment; it also represents the nuclear family, the tripod, and the mind, body and spirit connection. The mosaic pin is a powerful symbol that represents peace and culture."

The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

It is all of the above, and none of the above. It's denotative meanings are almost infinite, since 3 rocks scattered on the ground often make that pattern. But It's connotative meanings will differ from each different maker.

I would venture to day that Carter uses it because it is simple and elegant, and has a Trinitarian aspect to it, a Christian(among others) concept.

I would like to know if there is some kind of specific reason why they chose those designs.

Not to be mean, but I always assumed that since Kramer puts the design inside another circle and uses it for pinstock, it's because it is simple pinstock to obtain.

Given the information from Carters site about the three stars origin in Japan I don't buy the "trinity" explanation. And Kramer's explanation is pretty open ended.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

the first circle is for snapping turtles, the second circle is for box turtles and the third circle is for sea turtles. universal turtle symbols.

OK, now that makes sense!
    Spike C
    Pirsig