Gyuto reccomendation? Completed questionnaire.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgillis86

Reaction score
I'm in the USA.
Gyuto
Right handed
No handle preference but prefer wa
I need either an oversized 210 (220+) or a 240
I'd really prefer semi stainless, but stainless or stainless-clad is fine.
Maximum budget is around 250, saya included. I'll stretch to 300 if I'm in love

This would be a for professional use on the line to replace a shun premier 8". It's too short, too chippy, and the profile is just a bit awkward for me. I adore the profile on my masamoto ks, but it's a touch too long to use on the line, and I'd cry if a brunoise onion or minced garlic rusted her lol. The size of my gesshin ginga 240 would be perfect, but shes just so damn thin, and accidents happen on the line. It would be used mainly for slicing cooked meats, and a few herbs and veggies on the fly sometimes. I almost always pinch grip.

I do not mind resharpening at all, and I have equipment and quite enjoy the process, so edge retention isn't that big of a deal. I probably resharpen my knives too early as is. I prefer a mid to heavy knife for line use, and have found I mostly pull cut and rock on the line. I feel safer when she stays on the board.

Aesthetics are always a plus, but nothing fancy necessary. Just as long as f&f are nice and tight I'm happy.

Welcome J,

it seems like you are familiar with knives (the Gint). What about stainless clad semistailness-core Itinommon or stainless clad Kochi? Seimstainless Gengetsu would be out of intended budget and the availability is spotty, but it has great reputation around here.

Surely there are many others that would fit.

EDIT: I have re-read your post and realized that you might find the Itinomonn too lightweight.

the western intinomonn I had in the passaround was pretty hefty

I'm decently experienced, I've handled about 60 knives, but it creates the problem that I know exactly what I want and just can't find it.

The itinommon looks pretty nice. Is she double bevel? I should've added that in my questionnaire; slight asymmetry is ok but I don't want anything 90/10 or so. Gengetsu and kochi are definitely on my "gotta have one" list, but the gengetsu is out of my price range, and in Jons videos he said the kochi line was reeeeeally thin behind the edge. I want thin, but not fragile thin. I'm a firm promoter of "accidents happen on the line", and I'd need something a touch durable.

I've been eyeballing the Akifusa 240 pm gyuto, the kikuichi tkc 240, the gonbei hammered Damascus 240 and the Sukenari ginsan 240. I hate sharpening powdered steel though, I can't find an in stock tkc to save my life, and I've never handled anything by gonbei or Sukenari, so I'd be buying blind. I do have a soft spot for ginsanko and sweedish stainless though, both are pleasures to sharpen in my experience.

Kochi is really thin, but definitely not fragile--mine is V2 steel kurouchi.

Akifusa may be more asymmetric than you like?

Gesshin kagero? As for the TKC, you can order them from Japan. it's ~ $140+$24 shipping for a 240 gyuto. They do have someone to translate (at least they did 3 years ago) so maybe give that a go if you're set on that knife?

TKC Linky

arent the Akifusa/Ryusen, Kagero, Hayabusa? all the same knife pretty much?

Sorry, brainfart...was thinking Aritsuga. Akifusa is actually fairly asymmetric as well but not like Aritsuga:) I have a Kagero which I would recommend for serious edge retention--the reason I bought it.
Guess it's about 70-30? Everything is going to be somewhat asymmetric if it's Japanese...I'd link Dave's thread but I'm traveling.

IIRC, akifusa and ryusen are different. It's speculated that the akifusa and kagero come from the same smith/shop, but the kagero is made to Jon's specs (who wouldn't want that?).

70/30 is fine, I tend to sharpen 60/40 or 70/30 anyways. That kagero may be the ticket, I can't believe I didn't see her before. Mystery steel though eh? I looked into the aritsugu but it just didn't wow me. I know it's weird but I usually look at it and say "Yep, that's the one" before I go through with it.

The kikuichi ordering process scares me a bit. I know about zero Japanese, and even with a translator.. Well I'm not the most patient person. That kagero though.. Sexy. Anybody know of any saya options or would I have to get one custom made? And also, anybody have any experience with that line specifically? In my (somewhat limited) experience, PM steels are a tad on the brittle side and a pain to sharpen, two things I tend to stray away from. Specs on it are on point though.

im sure it uses the same steel as the Akifusa? SRS-15?

Concerning sharpening a PM stell - I have only experience with Tanaka R2. It was as easy to sharpen as white#1 - give or take. Seriously easy and fast - 10 strokes on 2000 Gesshin stone raised burr on given part of the blade. It may have had something to do with the blade being very thin behind the edge, but still - easy to sharpen. Concerning chipping - that will depend on the steel - I would avoid too much generalisation (probably also true for sharpening).

Best is to ask Jon directly on the kagero.

A few grains of sea salt on the board and improper technique can lead to a chippy knife lol

Alright so I've had a bit of time to look into this, and it's either the Akifusa or the gesshin kagero. I'm going to contact Jon when I fully get the money saved up, but does anyone know the difference between the two? I'm being quite fickle, I know, but I'm relentlessly..and sometimes annoyingly picky, but I know what I ike and I know what I need. Either way, any info/opinions are appreciated.

they might PRETTY MUCH the same knife, I do not know this for fact, but the Kagero will be made to Jon's (owner of JKI) specifications and the F&F is probably impeccable, not saying the Akifusa won't be, just saying the ones that he sells are inspected by him and meet his HIGH standards before they are sold

Back