Takefu knife village (Masakage, Kurosaki, Anryu, ...) and other knives (Terayasu Fujiwara, Yamawaku)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
There were recently some discussions here regarding knives made by various makers from Ezichen. Yesterday I visited JapanseMessen, one of the largest J-knife webshops in Europe (and only a couple of kilometers from my house :biggrin: ). I was able to see and try quite of few of these knives. And I got more insight in knife making there.

A number of knife makers and sharpeners have united themselves in a group called Takefu knife village. They work together in various constellations and under various brand names, although there are common threads. Here they are (from a brochure I got):

The knife that was on top of my list was a Masakage Yuki 170 mm ko bunka. It has a very nice nashiji (pear skin or snow) finish. However, I also got some reports here that it had pretty big shoulders and that it was not a great cutter.

When I tried the knife, it indeed was not the thinnest behind the edge and I could imagine that the shoulders could cause it to wedge. Fortunately I could also try a Masakage Koishi, made of stainless cladded AS steel. Apparently this is Makage's top line and forged by Hiroshi Kato himself. And this one had a very nice geometry/grind. Reasonably thick above the heel (about 3.4 mm), but thin behind the edge. And with a very nice tapering...

However, there were also a couple of Kurosaki knives... And these knives did not only have a beautiful kurouichi finish, but also a very similar grind to the Masakage Koishis. They were also made of stainless cladded AS. The main differences were that they tapered slightly less towards the tip and seemed even thinner above the edge. So thin that I thought they were ground hollow, but this was apparently an optical illusion. I think this knife will cut very well, but it is not for the anxious ones.

I had a hard time choosing. I eventually opted for the Masakage, mainly because of the very nice tapering.

The shop also carries Anry knives, another knife maker from Echizen. Well... not for me. The one I saw (a nakiri) had a nice tapering towards the tip, but was pretty thick above the edge. Maybe it was just this knife, but I like the Masakage Koishis and the Kurosaki knives a lot better.

Anton recommended me on this forum a Yamawaku knife. I'd never heard of it, but this shop carried the brand. And when I saw a knife... I was sold. And it wasn't even a gyuto, but a nakiri. I've never seen a Kato knife in real life, but this Yamawaku has the same grind the Katos have on pictures: pretty thick at the spine and then going down towards the edge in nearly a straight line. In addition it's made of V2 steel (uncladded or cladded with iron) and it has a very nice kurouchi. Unfortunately they did not have a 210 mm gyuto anymore, but I'm on the list for the next batch to arrive :) . The fact that the knife costs less than EUR 100 wasn't detrimental to this decision, but if it'd cost twice as much, I'd probably still have ordered it.

I've asked a couple of questions on Terayasu Fujiwara on this forum, and today I can answer them :) . The shop carries all three lines of Fujiwara: nashiji, maboroshi and denka. I think all three lines are great cutters: they all three have similar grinds, are very thin behind the edge and have a nice tapering towards the tip. The nashiji line is the cheapest. It must be the definition of rustic. The blades do not only have a very nice (yes, nashiji) finish, but the spine and choil are sometimes sharp. Plain sharp. Normally I don't care for a rounded edge or choil, but I'd probably do that on this line. So when someone advised me the maboroshi line because of the better blade finish, I now understand why. The maboroshi knives still have a nice look on the blade (also hammered), but are finished better. I found the finger choil, of which I did not know whether I'd like it, very comfortable, by the way. Is the maboroshi line worth the extra money over the nashiji line? I think it's personal, but for me it is. (My wallet was nearly empty already, however :) . This one's for Christmas...)

The denka knives have a similar finish as the maboroshi line. Only they have an added kurouchi. And the blades are made of AS steel, whereas the other blades are made of shirogami. However, the denka knives cost more than twice as much as the maboroshi ones. Are they worth it? Well... not to me probably.

So then it was time to go home. I also brought this cute little (135 mm) santoku with me: a Tadafusa KNT-135 made of cladded shirogami.

I've seen enough new J-knives for at least a week :) .

Superb info and it mirrors my experience with Masakage, Kurosaki and Fujiwara - and yes the Maboroshi is worth the price tag when bought direct from the maker, I find them exceptionally beautiful and efficient.

Next time check the Murata, I can't put their Western Nakiri down, that damn thing literally resonates and sings!

Thank you for a write up - sounds like you really enjoyed it :)

Did you have a look at the SLD Tadafusa knives? They look quite interesting.

No, I didn't. They have such an awesome amount of knives you really have to focus beforehand on what you want to see. (Even just the number of Tadafusas is very large.)

But I looked them up at their site and I must say the tsuchime ones (particularly the S43) look very nice. It's for the next time I go there :) .

The Fujiwara information is helpful to me, thank you. I knew of the hagane distinction and kurouchi finish that set the Denka apart from Maboroshi but at double the cost, I was wondering what other revelation I had missed. You're right to observe there is little information out there. Comments appreciated

Drawman, as far I was able to observe, the main difference between the Maboroshi and the Denka line is that the Maboroshi is made of laminated shirogami and the Denka is made of laminated aogami supersteel. The finish of both blades is different (notably the kurouchi on the Denka's), but I wouldn't say it is better on the Denka's. Both types of blades seem to have the same profile and the same grind. And they can be had with the same handles.

Thanks Mark. What was your take on the western style handle fit of the Maboroshi knives? I was surprised to find a price increase on the Fujiwara web site to go from western handle to Japanese style ebony/buffalo. Personally I prefer the Wa style, but many high end knives are sought after with western handles. I'm not so advanced in my cutting style that I could not adapt to either easily. If the western handles are well fitted then that will probably be the direction I take.

I was not too impressed with the Western handles. They are reasonably well fitted, but they didn't feel too well in my hand: they're pretty small in circumference and they look cheap. Now I must say that I have pretty large hands and have many of my knives rehandled, so that's quite personal.

If you're ok with a standard small Western handle, then you're good to go, I think. Personally I'd go with the cheapest wa handle and then have it rehandled.

Pretty weird, though. Normally these Japanese knife makers charge much more for Western handles.

My 3 Maboroshi no Meito are decently finished. They all have simple Western handles but there are no gaps or flaws while not being as nicely finished as the same handles on Muratas.

I can't wait to receive my custom ordered mini Nakiri with Wa Ebony handle, it should absolutely rock on small ingredients.

Yeah, I must add that I'm really not into Western handles: all of my knives have wa handles (with the exception of a beautifully rehandled Hiromoto). So I'm definitely prejudged.

I can't wait to receive my custom ordered mini Nakiri with Wa Ebony handle, it should absolutely rock on small ingredients.

Wow, cool! I haven't got a Teruyasu (yet ;) ). I could just feel and admire them at this shop. Do they do custom knives as well?

Wow, cool! I haven't got a Teruyasu (yet ;) ). I could just feel and admire them at this shop. Do they do custom knives as well?
I asked him about a custom shape and he said he was cool with it, but I was a bit underwhelmed with my Nashiji nakiri so I never followed up on it.

I expect I will have to finish the spine and choil myself but I do not mind at all. I already do this on Kuro Uchis so the raw black finish contrasts with smooth and shiny sides. Sorry to hear you were a bit disappointed with your Nakiri btw.

I expect I will have to finish the spine and choil myself but I do not mind at all. I already do this on Kuro Uchis so the raw black finish contrasts with smooth and shiny sides. Sorry to hear you were a bit disappointed with your Nakiri btw.
Choil and spine don't bother me...serious grind inconsistency and an edge that only made partial board contact due to serious frowning bothered me. I'm currently having the bevel reground, but the business of doing it was taking me so long @ 300 grit that I gave up on it and sent it to a competent maker with a grinder. for salvage.

Choil and spine don't bother me...serious grind inconsistency and an edge that only made partial board contact due to serious frowning bothered me. I'm currently having the bevel reground, but the business of doing it was taking me so long @ 300 grit that I gave up on it and sent it to a competent maker with a grinder. for salvage.

I've read this a few times, regarding these knives, and from what I know, the dealers QC these to hell to make sure they are great knives (which they apparently can be). If Jon still carried them, I'd trust one coming from him, but straight from the maker can be risky, from what I've read.

On a side note, how awesome would it be to get one, and have Carter, Harner, or Rader fix the grind?!?

I've read this a few times, regarding these knives, and from what I know, the dealers QC these to hell to make sure they are great knives (which they apparently can be). If Jon still carried them, I'd trust one coming from him, but straight from the maker can be risky, from what I've read.

On a side note, how awesome would it be to get one, and have Carter, Harner, or Rader fix the grind?!?
It may well be such. I have amassed several Zakuri knives and have encountered a pretty big range of quality from excellent to substandard. I think that's just the way of things with these more affordable pieces.

On the fixer...it's none of those makers, but if the knife can be worked out, I think the guy I'm working with will be on a comparable level. Honestly though...I'm not sure the knife is really really worth it...we'll have to wait and see.

The reason I went for the Maboroshis for the core of my knife collection is the extra time spent on the blades, all mine are perfect and straight from the maker. I ordered the mini Nakiri because the 130 Nashiji was already the smallest in his catalogue but as I said I am expecting to have to polish a few angles.

Hopefully the very short blade will be ok.

I also have an eye on the 150 Mablroshi Gyuto to fill the gap between my 120 petty and 210 gyuto in the same collection...any excuse to get another knife really! :biggrin:

I also have an eye on the 150 Mablroshi Gyuto to fill the gap between my 120 petty and 210 gyuto in the same collection...any excuse to get another knife really! :biggrin:

In that case you also still need a 180 mm gyuto :D

The reason I went for the Maboroshis for the core of my knife collection is the extra time spent on the blades, all mine are perfect and straight from the maker. I ordered the mini Nakiri because the 130 Nashiji was already the smallest in his catalogue but as I said I am expecting to have to polish a few angles.

Hopefully the very short blade will be ok.

I decided to give Teruyasu Fujiwara another chance and ordered a Maboroshi no Meito 195mm gyuto. Hopefully it'll turn out better than the nakiri did.

My next knife will definitely be a Kurosaki. This youngster has really high standards.

My next knife might be a Kurosaki as well... As I wrote, it should cut much the same as a Masakage Koishi (which cuts GREAT), but it looks quite different.

My next knife might be a Kurosaki as well... As I wrote, it should cut much the same as a Masakage Koishi (which cuts GREAT), but it looks quite different.

I love my Koishi Honesuki, wonderful fit and finish and a real shame I don't use it more often.

Hi everyone,

Actually i'm really torn between 3 models and i hope i could get your help on this

This is between the

#Kurosaki AS Santoku
#Fujiwara san Nashiji Santoku
#Masakage Koishi Santoku

I know the steel are different between these knives but the steel istelf is just one part of the puzzle.
The skills and experience of the tool maker is the thing to search imo.

So it would be nice if could give me your thoughts.

I work for myself and in a professional kitchen 3 time a week so i would like a blade which i can bring with me at work without the fear of her solidity.
That i can use daily. Not just an art work.
I need to trust my tool but i prefer a good looking knive for sure. I love the object and I am very careful about my knives.
I love tall and thin blade.

I love the profile of the Kurosaki or the Koishi but the blade treatment of the Nashiji speaks to me and seems to be legendary.

Thank you very much

Best regards,

Alexis

To me the Kurosaki AS stands out the most, if I had the money I would get one (a Gyuto) or (petty, honesuki)

Back