Recommend a gyuto to a newbie. With completed questionary.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cujo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After some lurking, I decided to join your great community. Please help me finding my first proper knife.

Thanks in advance.

EU

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Definitely Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Around 200

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes or at least semi-stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
175$ or 150Euro

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing meats and vegetables, chopping, trimming

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
none of a significance

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice, Push-cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Won't lie: Decent Victorinox will be enough for my needs, yet I'm a bit of a geek here.
Aesthetics are important. I prefer traditional or french profile to the German one. I love the minimalism of the traditional WA handles and their modern interpretations (round of hexagon).
Will love a patterned blade(or having some finishing), but that's not obligatory.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not sure, i'm relatively big guy though

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Will for sure be better than my current ones

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not so important - it's mainly for home usage

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood - oak
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I sharpening my knives
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Attainable in EU.
Also matching parry to exist. I'm gonna add it to my collection later.

I don't know enough to recommend individual knives (will leave that to others here), but definitely take a look at JNS or JCK. JCK is very low shipping (I think around $7) while JNS is located in Daneland I believe. :clown: Free shipping from there for an order over 1000 DKK (currently ~ 135 euro). Or there is always bluewayjapan, another cheap shipping option. Just don't burn up half your budget in delivery fees.

Also matching parry to exist. I'm gonna add it to my collection later.
Also for everyone else's sake, how important is this to you? Does it need to be just the same model range, or just same company, or can it be a different maker and just look like a match?

Yes, you're right. Shipping from USA is not an option. On the top of the higher fee I have to pay import tax and VAT.

Also for everyone else's sake, how important is this to you? Does it need to be just the same model range, or just same company, or can it be a different maker and just look like a match?

Preferably from the same maker/model range.

Personnaly I'd advice you to have a closer look at Itinomonn from JNS http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...etCurrencyId=1

I'm not an expert. Isn't this knife made of non-stainless steel.

I see.

In fact, I was bit wrong about the handles. Both styles are ok. Unless the handle isn't huge and heavy german style. I've such knife and find it uncomfortable.

I do not have experience (nor have I read about) Sauin knives, but you mentioned that you do not like heavy handles. The sauna has stainless bolster and it is a full-tang handle - that will make quite at least 50g heavier than a comparable knife with traditional japanese handle would.

I would second the advice to look at Itinomonn - there is the stainless clad carbon core (v2 steel) one for about 190€ and stainless clad semi-stainless core for about 185€ - both slightly beyond your budget, but those are quality knives and you will get them delivered in about 2-3 days after ordering and free of charge. IMO - for someone from EU (like me) - that is hard to beat and if I were starting today that would probably be my first choice that that price range.

The steel will probably be harder than the one in Sauin and I would guess that also easier to sharpen (VG-10 is fine steel, but carbon steels or even semi-stainless are usually easier to sharpen than stainless ones).

I know it is not easy, but do not put too much weight into the 'bling' (pretty finish, damascus, etc...), but rather on performance (grind, geometry, etc.). Also matching knives is not something people around here buy too often (safe for custom knife sets) - just follow what you need and can afford. With that all being said - I think that the little 90mm Itinomonn (stainless clad carbon) would make awesome paring knife.

Depending on where you live in EU, ordering from abroad may come with some 20% import tax - something you should check and take into account.

And of course welcome :)

Thank you, Matus :)

I know it is not easy, but do not put too much weight into the 'bling' (pretty finish, damascus, etc...)
Not easy at all. Especially when I know that a well sharpened Victorinox will be more than enough for my amateur cooking sessions.

To be honest I quite like the design of the Sauin. Also I belive full stainless steel will suit me better.

Anyway, I'm gonna read more before I purchase. Both forum posts and general info about steels and shapes.

+1 to everything Matus said.

In case you wonder why we are pointing you towards stainless clad carbon, it is because carbon is just so very, very nice to sharpen. Also even though Japanese Chef Knives have a very reasonable shipping cost you may have to pay costums - that depends on where you live.

Edit: Okay, Matus actally stated both my points, so sorry for the redundancy :O

Anyway, I'm gonna read more before I purchase. Both forum posts and general info about steels and shapes.

That is a good idea indeed. Do not hurry if you do not have to (but do not spend hundreds of hours reading and browsing either - there is a balance to everything). Usually - the opinion people have when new to Japanese kitchen knives change rather fast in the first few weeks (and even more once they get their first knife - in my case that was Suji 270mm SLD from JNS - amazing knife but just wrong choice for me). I would strongly advice you to have a look at videos from Jon and Maksim on youtube. Jon even has video about steels and how to choose a knife. Well worth watching.

And enjoy :)

Yes, thanks. Indeed, I always read something geeky during my spare time. It's very relaxing :)

What's the general opinion on Miyabi knives. They're well available in EU.
I'm looking both at the 7000D:
7717_7000D_3.jpg

and the 5000DP:
MY5000DP_6Gyutoh_SQ_large.jpg

Obviously, I love their design.

The 7000D I have sharpened. It is harder steel so edge retention should be good. It is easy to raise a burr on final bevel. Burr removal not bad either. If you are a Big guy with large hands make sure you have enough finger clearance under the handle. I prefer blades with ample spine to heel mm. Have you considered a 240mm?

If the looks floats your boat, the higher end Miyabi's are not bad blades.

With all that steel in the handle I suspect them of being rather handle heavy which corresponds to the German taste, with rock-chopping out of the shoulder.

I played around with the Miyabi birchwood and it's heavier than it looks. Even though it's a wa style handle, they weighted it to match the expectations of their customer base who like 'balanced' weight. The fit and finish on the one I used was great and it was actually pretty thin.

Yes, thanks. Indeed, I always read something geeky during my spare time. It's very relaxing :)

What's the general opinion on Miyabi knives. They're well available in EU.
I'm looking both at the 7000D:
7717_7000D_3.jpg

and the 5000DP:
MY5000DP_6Gyutoh_SQ_large.jpg

Obviously, I love their design.

The 7000D I have sharpened. It is harder steel so edge retention should be good. It is easy to raise a burr on final bevel. Burr removal not bad either. If you are a Big guy with large hands make sure you have enough finger clearance under the handle. I prefer blades with ample spine to heel mm. Have you considered a 240mm?

If the looks floats your boat, the higher end Miyabi's are not bad blades.

I would suggest to buy a knife with better steel than 7000D. I suppose the reason for buying a Japanese knife is to get one really good one. I am afraid that this one is not good enough, steel wise.

With all that steel in the handle I suspect them of being rather handle heavy which corresponds to the German taste, with rock-chopping out of the shoulder.

I own 7000MCD which is of almost exact shape. I must say that the general balance of the knife is quite good and I do not find it too handle heavy.
It sits in my hand just like other purely Japanese style/shape/handle ones. It's pretty good knife and the ZDP189 steel is fantastic. It holds the edge for very very very long. On top of it, it is beautiful.
It is just prone to chipping if you sharpen it below 12 degrees per side...

Latest posts

Back