Long petty options

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
So after really working down my 180mm Geshin Ginga petty, I have decides to part ways with it or relegate it to my home kitchen.

So my question is simple, what are my options when looking for a 180 to 210mm petty.

210 is a bit long for my space on the line, but on a wa handled knife measured with the machi included it should be fine.

I am in the US, budget isn't a big concern, and I am a fan of all types and flavors of handles and steels.

Thanks in advance.

Have to vote for my 210 gesshin kagekiyo. Love that knife

I like when petty knives have as little flex as possible. I have not had too many of those in my hand, but Yoshikane SLD (albeit in 150mm size that we have) is very nice knife. I guess it depends what you need from the knife (a thin slicer like the Ginga or a more robust blade). I would look also at something like Gengetsu or Heiji.

If you were happy with your 180 gesshin ginga, why not go for the 210 version? I got a Ashi Ginga recently and I can't say that I regret anything...except for maybe not buying a Ashi knife earlier...

Not much love for the 180mm? I might give an Aritsugu a try they seem to have a large selection of sizes especially on their a type steel.

Thank you for all of your input, that Kagekiyo just looks so beautiful. What are the handles like in use? The pictures make them appear two-toned.

They are two toned. There are actually three textures if you will. There is the gloss black, more of a textured matte black, and silver specs as well.

I have both the 210 and the 270 and they are awesome knives. They will see quite the workout this holiday.

I have three, 180mm Itinomonn, 210mm Gesshin Heiji SS, 210mm Kagekiyo Ginsanko. I currently have the Kagekiyo in my work kit so it sees the most use, but I like it about the same as the Heiji. The handles on both are good and while the Kagekiyo handle is nicer, I prefer the heavier, larger, more rustic/utilitarian burnt chestnut handle on the Heiji. The Itintomonn is nice but its too small for me.

I'm a 180 petty fan. 150 is a bit short. 210s I've had were too flexible. The 180 is just right. Though if you're working in a cramped space one of Carter's self named Funysomethings may be ideal. 165ish, with some height, working tip, very agile.

I loooooove my gesshin ginga stainless 210 petty. Perfect on the line and silver skin mutilator. JUST RIDICULOUS

There ain't no flies on my Gengetsu 180mm Stainless Clad White #2 Wa-Petty. Actual blade length from ferrule to tip is 194mm.

Back