Quantcast
Cutting surface: How high do you have it/like it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting surface: How high do you have it/like it?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Interesting. I just talked to the sushi guy at one of the local restaurants here about how high his set-up was and he said he likes it high because his back bothers him otherwise. I noticed he gets his face maybe a foot or so off the cutting surface sometimes. Anybody else lean over like that?
    I use Tiger balm or Icy-Hot during the day and heating pad at night. I use two True coolers and my board is on top of them, I have caught myself leaning over like that when I get in a zone and just cutting away, then my back says

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Interesting. I just talked to the sushi guy at one of the local restaurants here about how high his set-up was and he said he likes it high because his back bothers him otherwise. I noticed he gets his face maybe a foot or so off the cutting surface sometimes. Anybody else lean over like that?
    a bit of leaning over is just part of proper technique/stance for japanese chefs

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    a bit of leaning over is just part of proper technique/stance for japanese chefs
    That may be true, but I disagree. A higher work surface lets you stand straight instead of hunching over. It saves the back.

i don't hunch over much with a work surface at hip height.

I washed dishes for about 5 years when I was at University so my back never ever gets sore when I work in the kitchen now, I rarely ever stand still anyway for my back to get stiff/sore

I do 20 minutes of yoga every night. It helps keep me spry and I sleep like a baby.

Kitchen work is hell on your back, regardless of counter height. Not to say that high counters aren't better--I worked at a place once that had counters exactly testicle-high...I crushed the goods on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i don't hunch over much with a work surface at hip height.
    of course my work surface is really a fun surface, since i don't do this for a living.

I like my counters kinda high.. slight above the belly button for me... and I'm 5"6'

Cut on 36" sharpen on 42".

I like my surfaces a belly button and sharpening I set up on a 6 inch hotel pan to give extra height. If I sharpen on a lower surface my back hates me. Plus I seem to be able to keep a more straight bevel on a higher surface.