Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 240 Gyuto design and layout.

I am actually changing it to a hidden tang. The handle is soft after HT, and i dont have much in the way of scales lol. Thought about full tang, but thought that might make Del think i am trying to steal his design lol. Besides...i want to do a stick tang wa...sounds like a lot of fun.

Ok so here it is after a re profiling and HT. I roughed the bevels in and he said he wanted it full flat so i changed it I like how it is looking so far, but i am going to take a little of the flat off the heel, think that will make the rocking action a bit better.

Ok again this is my first kitchen knife....Man what a learning curve! lol. I have to say thanks to you all for your input...Please comment away, as it is the only way i will get better and do it right.

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Looking good Mike. Does Del know you stole his handle?!
    Everyone should steal the Ealy Handle design. It's amazing. I vote we just call it the "Ealy Handle" so he always gets credit for it, and people know where to go to get the real deal.

Lookin good. Better without that extra belly. I wouldn't take any off the heel to help with rocking, but if that is what he likes then by all means. I would be careful of the dropped bolster/extra meat above the heel. If it drops all the way to the edge or just behind it, it can makes sharpening very annoying or impossible towards the heel. This is something you see in a lot of forged german blades and traditionally has been considered a sign of quality, but in actual application it sucks. Japanese or j-styled knives don't have the bolster drop down to the heel.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Everyone should steal the Ealy Handle design. It's amazing. I vote we just call it the "Ealy Handle" so he always gets credit for it, and people know where to go to get the real deal.
    +1. The Ealy Handle it is. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, after all.

Looks really good! I agree that you should grind off the extended bolster/guard. Maybe have it end a couple mms after the bottom of the handle. I love Sabatiers, but I can't stand sharpening them, purely because of the guard.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Ok, by the bolster/guard...What do you guys mean? Are you talking about the plunge grind? I plan on taking it farther up...as i dont want it to interfere down the road. I just didn't want it to be to the finished height before HT. Oh and i talked with Del about the handle...He is good with it! I agree about the Ealy Handle thing...It is his beast, he deserves credit....Hell for as much advice as he gives me...He deserves more than handle credit lol. Thanks for the pointers guys, You guys make it possible for me to (hopefully) make a usable knife lol.

Thanks again guys
    Mike

I wasn't sure if it was plunge grind or an extended bolster/guard. But you already knew to bring it up a bit, so you're on the right track!

That is one great looking blade, regardless of it being your first gyuto.

I actually made some progress tonight but had a oh crap moment.I was raising the plunge grinds and got a shock from my KMG...I jumped....Well a 50 grit 3M 957 belt is unforgiving, and left me with a deep scratch i can't get out without ruining the geometry of the knife....So i got it as close as i could, and finish sanded it. I figure it is for a friend and i am now making him a petty to compensate for my mistake. Any how, i did get the handle glued up for it...I figured that Del said to go ahead and do full tang...I did. I used a weird piece of redwood burl that i got from Mark Farley, and used ironwood burl for the bolsters. This is my first time ever doing bolsters...Hidden pins are a pita. Everything lined up great and it should be dry enough by the time my kid takes a nap that i can rough shape the handle and get the feel of it.ok so here is the picture.

Thanks for looking
    Mike