Massmoto KS 270 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Would love to buy one of these. Can someone direct me to site that is selling. Would entertain used 270 as well. Thanks

cant seem to find any that are not sold out anywhere

Maybe rakuten ? I saw that they have the 240 in stock now, and even a 330 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked on Rakuten as well to try and help the OP out, I wasn't able to find any, whose the seller?

Yamakawa on rakuten doesn't have any in stock, but they do have 240s in both white and stainless (aeb-l i think?). They've also got a 300 in white.

If it helps, they do run long so I think a 240 is really ~ 250 something.

I kinda just want to buy new. If no leads I'll post in bst

the best bet right now would be to get a 240 if you want a new one, who knows when a new stock of them will come around

thanks Mike!

If I had a little bit more cash I would get the 240

Thanks for the links. I love the 270 size. I think like james said they run big. So like a 24o is actually longer. Can anyone who owns one chime in. Also, how is rakuten to order from.

My 240mm KS is actually 251mm. You may also try contacting Korin see if they can order one for you.

My 240 ks is 255 mm. I was actually in the market for a 270 when I pulled the trigger on her, and I've yet to hear of one that isn't oversized. You won't miss that half inch or so, at least I never have. The profile is amazing, easily makes up for the minimal loss in length.

48.6 mm. I know this for a fact because (and I'll probably catch hell for it on this forum...) I bought the video knife ks from "the site that shall not be named". It was too good of a deal to pass up. The specs are on the quick look YouTube video.

I did a basic "review" of one here some time ago...to be clear, this was a Rakuten knife. The purchase was pleasant, not so much the knife.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/13891-masamoto-ks-just-a-project-knife-nowadays

Edit to add that the Rakuten stock will come and go for a few weeks at a time...in other words, they'll have 240's for a while, then sell out, then restock, etc for a while before they actually run out. Just make sure to use the model number in your search (ks3124 etc).

Currently less than 200 bucks for a ks? Wow!

Would love to buy one of these. Can someone direct me to site that is selling. Would entertain used 270 as well. Thanks

Ain't worth the effort. Buy a Tesshu from Aframes, instead.

Ain't worth the effort. Buy a Tesshu from Aframes, instead.

Can you elaborate on why the Tesshu? Never heard of it (there is a lot I haven't heard about), but would like to know. Interested in buying a new knife soon.

Tesshu kicks ass, and Masamoto ain't great shakes anymore. Not much more to be said.

Can you elaborate on why the Tesshu? Never heard of it (there is a lot I haven't heard about), but would like to know. Interested in buying a new knife soon.

The KS started it all, and a couple years ago the KS was a very hot item on the forums. Then other makers caught on and made their own version the the KS.

Here are just some:Sakai Yusuke, Ashi GINGA, Moritaka, konosuke fuji (to some extent), the-site-that-can't-be-named Ultimatum. Not sure where the Tesshu stands.

They all have there very own take on the KS, so they might be worth a look. But I will leave that to the others with experience with the said knives.

There is no secret to the KS, its good steel with good heat treat with a chef/slicer profile making it very usable and nimble knife. Its not thick nor thin, the edge retention isn't all that great but it takes a scary sharp edge. I love mine, but I'm just one opinion.

I'm a big fan of my older KS, and I just pulled the trigger on a Tesshu. I'll let you know how this pans out.

What makes a great knife is very subjective. I'm no master bladesmith nor do I have the experience some of these guys have, but for me at least, my newer model KS just works for me. Comfy, ideal length for prep, kick ass profile, sexy distal taper, not wedge monster thick but not fragile laser thin. I admit, after months of using a ginga 240 it look some adjustment, but I've really grown to love it. If you want a KS, get a KS. They're pretty classic man.

If you want a KS, get a KS. They're pretty classic man.

This really sums it all up, if you are curious and haven't tried a KS, buy one and give it a shot. You certainly won't have a problem selling it when you're done if you don't like it.

Not sure where the Tesshu stands.

I've owned a lot of knives, like many here. The Tesshu has a very similar grind to the wide beveled Konosuke Fujiyama knives (which are nothing like a Masamoto KS), with a similar level of fit and finish. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fujiyamas were made by the same artisans as Tesshu, they are so similar. This means that they cut much better than a Masamoto KS, for less money. The Masamoto KS knives have been well surpassed. Even if they were still cheap-isn and uniform in grind, I wouldn't suggest getting one now.

The KS started it all, and a couple years ago the KS was a very hot item on the forums. Then other makers caught on and made their own version the the KS.

Here are just some:Sakai Yusuke, Ashi GINGA, Moritaka, konosuke fuji (to some extent), the-site-that-can't-be-named Ultimatum. Not sure where the Tesshu stands.

They all have there very own take on the KS, so they might be worth a look. But I will leave that to the others with experience with the said knives.

There is no secret to the KS, its good steel with good heat treat with a chef/slicer profile making it very usable and nimble knife. Its not thick nor thin, the edge retention isn't all that great but it takes a scary sharp edge. I love mine, but I'm just one opinion.

The above statement on copying the masamoto is not accurate... At least ashi hamono has been producing blades in the shapes and styles they do for as long, if not longer.

Alright, then I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back