What Were Your Tools This Holiday?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc4pt0

Reaction score
Ok gang, first the disclaimer:
By Holiday I mean this to be as worldly/universal as possible.

That said, I'll start this off with thanksgiving. Thanksgiving for me means show up to my inlaw's and grab at least one glass of wine before the annual barrage of questions pull me into kitchen. I certainly don't mind at all, as most of the work is already done by my wife's mother (read: Great Home Cook).

But when it came time to carve the two turkeys, I broke out this Bloodroot which made turkey dissecting SO EASY.

20141127_181246-picsay_zps03eca860.jpg
20141127_181235-picsay_zpsc6ca64a1.jpg

20141127_181044-picsay_zpsa92e9a63.jpg

Damn fine looking turkey, blade, and slices....and I can't stand turkey.

Masamoto ks white steel 240, calphalon parer, and my poor, abused Hamilton Beach cleaver..

My mom and I host thanksgiving every year, and have since before I was born (actually where I found my passion for food). We host between 30-70 people every year, tons and tons of fun.

The KS is my most recent buy, and I've yet to find anything it can't do. No i didnt go through bones, hence the mention of the HB cleaver (poor thing). My mom (retired chef/owner) has always stuck by her henckels, and this thanksgiving, I finally wowed her with my masamoto. I think a Christmas gift may be in order lol

Love the electric knife, very practical. I had grass-fed angus steaks with caramelized onions, roasted rosemary potatoes, and garlicky spinach. Easy on the knives, I used a Dojo parer, Carter funayuki, and Warther steak knives. Sorry, no time for pics, I was starving...

Stefan

It wasn't Thanksgiving up here, but we watched some football at the hall. I made peameal sandwiches, and chili (washed down with peppermint and fudge ice cream). My tools were a Harner. Plural wording - one knife.

Salty, I remember you posting a picture of that chainsaw last year as well! I actually had that in mind when staying this thread. My aunt used one very close to that every holiday feast. Turkeys, hams and roasts, nothing was safe from it. And all was sliced in record times.

I wonder if any of the makers here would make a new blade for it, just for fun.

I used a Carter 210 Sujihikis again this year. Or I think that would be the right designation for it. double bevel blade on a traditional handle. It has been my go to roast and bird slicer for some time.

I have gifted an electric knife to every non knife friend I've had over the years for this purpose. I used an old Henkels boning knife and a Carter to slice. Prepped with the Rader Santoku from Salty and a Catcheside petty.

I had a fun day. I got to give my new haburn 210 gyuto a real workout prepping veggies, and I used my kagekiyo 270 suji to carve up the turkey.

Wusthof boning knife for breaking down and DT ITK gyuto for slicing. One day I'll get a real honesuki (I think I'm on a list for Marko if he ever gets into production mode). The DT ITK was used for slicing because it was already out on the cutting board. Marc, that Bloodroot looks perfect for the job!

The Bloodroot is Amazing! As was that countlessly refilled and emptied glass of Pinot behind it...

Mike nice toolkit applied to your bird. I'm sure each slice was delicious and perfectly carved.

I still prefer breaking down and carving a cooked turkey with an electric knife. My only dislike is the cord, a cordless would be much more convenient for sure.

zuzz, zuzz, zuzz

Traveling during holidays and packed a beater bag to do all the cooking - Fujiwara FKH 150, Misono Swedish 210, Suisin Inox Western 240 Suji

Back