Looking for first Gyuto - Questionnaire filled out

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTHT

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference. No experience with Japanese handles.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm, based on current knives (8" chef)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Preferably stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$350

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Chopping/slicing vegetables, trimming meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Adding to the collection rather than replacing anything.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch, hammer.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Rock, Chop, Walk

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Aesthetic not too important at this time.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Looking for a lighter knife than my German 8" chef.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Easier to sharpen preferable.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Bamboo currently. Looking to get an end-grain in the near future.

Do you sharpen your own knives?
No.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
Yes.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
Yes, price of sharpening accessories not included in budget above.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
My SO is getting me a knife as a holiday present, the only concern is that I am not sure what I would like as I am relatively new to world of higher-end kitchen knives. I originally wanted a santoku as the shape is different and not something I am used to, but after browsing around the forums last night, I think I may want a gyuto instead. My usual knife is a Henckel's Pro S 8" chef. I'm a short female with small hands, so I think 210mm/8" would be the right length for me and anything longer may be too unwieldy.

Based on some comments made here, I'm looking at the Gesshin Kagero 210mm gyuto. If there are other knives that may fit what I'm looking for (gyuto, santoku, or otherwise), I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for taking a look!

Well gesshin ginga 210mm gyuto is pretty darn light. And are awesome and look cool. And you can get them in either Wa-handle or traditional handle.

I had a suisin Inox Honyaki 210mm gyuto and it was stellar but that only comes in wa handle. (a really nice one btw.)

I have played with and known several people that have had Misono UX10's and they are pretty awesome.

If you want something unique you could get a Tanaka Ginsan and sand down the rough edges and get it rehandled. That is a pretty killer knife.

Hiromoto is carbon but clad in stainless. That will get very sharp pretty quickly, and is not a big deal to take care of. And you could get that rehandled too if you want extra awesomeness.

Konosuke Ginsan is a little closer to the weight of your german knife, and the handle fit and finish is pretty bad, but it is a killer blade.

I have a 240 kagero and Think it is pretty awesome.

As far as stones go I'd get a 1k and anything from 4k-6k grit. I have a gesshin 1200 splash and go and a 5000 splash and go and they are awesome. You will need a nagura for the 5k though. Also get a cheap flattening stone to keep everything level.

Also Welcome to the forums.

Welcome!

I have a Gesshin Kagero in 240 and it is a high quality gyuto.

My concern with any Japanese knife would be your desire to rock while cutting. Since these edges are harder than your Henckels the edges may have a tendency to chip.

Cheers

Thanks for the responses so far.

I did look at the Suisin Inox Honyaki wa-gyuto and I'm still considering it. I'm primarily split between this and the Kagero. Korin currently has it at 15% off (today only!) which makes it a very attractive price. My only concern would be ease of care and use - I briefly spoke to JCK and they mentioned that care for the Suisin would be harder compared to the Kagero. They also brought up the point that it is more brittle, especially if I'm transitioning from my Henckels. I figure I will have to adjust my knife skills for Japanese knives anyways.

I also looked at the UX10 yesterday, but it looks like there are a lot of conflicting opinions on it (mainly, price vs value). For now, I don't think I will be getting a UX10.

I'd like something that I can use relatively quickly out of the box, so any knives that would require rehandling or has an overall poor initial F+F would be out of the running for me this time around.

For stones, I was thinking of starting off with the King 1k/6k that I see get mentioned around here.

I learned on the king 1x6 it is a great starter stone IMHO. You still need a cheap flattening stone for it though, but you can get that a little later.

Whichever knife you choose you will definitely need to alter your cutting techniques. The biggest problem with rock chopping or walking the knife is when the edge of the blade is touching the board and you turn the knife then that tends to chip the blade on really hard and thin Edges.

The only thing with the suisin IH is that you would need to learn how to sharpen a little sooner than with the kagero. I would treat them both with the same level of care. (no frozen foods, bones, seeds, etc.)

If you get the kagero see if Jon will sharpen it for you. He is really good at it and that way you wont have to sharpen it for a while after you get it. That way you will have time to practice on a knife you care a little less about.

I briefly spoke to JCK and they mentioned that care for the Suisin would be harder compared to the Kagero. They also brought up the point that it is more brittle, especially if I'm transitioning from my Henckels.

For stones, I was thinking of starting off with the King 1k/6k that I see get mentioned around here.

Did you speak to JCK or to Jon at Japanses Knife Imports (JKI) From the helpful response it sounds like Jon. I had pretty much the same conversation with him a couple years ago though mine was Suisin IH vs Ginga. (I wanted the Japanese Wa handle) I recall that I was advised the Suisin may hold an edge longer but the Ginga would be easier to maintain. I concluded the Ginga would be a better fit for me and nothing since has changed my mind. At the time there was a significant price difference between the two and I also managed to keep a hundred bucks in my pocket - albeit briefly.

Either the Kagero or Ginga would be excellent choices. As would the Suisin. Within your budget constraints you may also want to add the Stainless Clad Kochi to your short list. http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...-kurouchi-stainless-clad-carbon-wa-gyuto.html. The Kochi will have a little more heft than the Ginga/Suisin but still be considerably lighter than your Henckels.

IRT out of box, I've always asked Jon to put an initial edge on knives I've ordered and he always has. I call it the best sharpening job the knife is likely to ever get.

The King stones are highly thought of and would serve you well. Jon carries the King (I think) as well as a Ginga combo stone.

Welcome to world of knife geeks.

I believe I actually spoke with his wife, Sara. Another knife she told me to consider is the Gesshin Uraku stainless wa-gyuto.

Knowing my own faults (aka, being occasionally lazy), I don't think I want to start out with a carbon core, even if it is stainless clad. I will keep this one in mind though if I want to start moving towards carbon in the future.

Based on responses here and comparing weights, I think I will go the Kagero. I actually put my two chef knives on the scale today (Henckels came in at 265g, another less used one came in at 176g). The Kagero still comes in lighter than both, but it won't be an abrupt change. I also don't know if I will like a wa handle yet (although I see the Ginga can also come with a western handle). I also went ahead and picked up a relatively cheap Tojiro DP santoku, just for sharpening practice and to play with the shape.

I'll be in NYC in mid-Dec, so it gives me a chance to visit Korin in person and be able to get a feel for the Suisin and wa handles in general. If I like it, then I'll likely consider it as a candidate again to get next year.

You may be pleasantly surprised by the Tojiro once you sharpen it. Edge out of the box can be only so-so.

There is nothing at all wrong with the King stones, I use a King 6000 all the time and am quite pleased with it. The 1000 will dish easily even with light pressure, which is why I seldom use mine any more, but it will sharpen just fine. Poor choice for re-setting a bevel or thinning, but for regular sharpening it will work fine so long as you flatten it often. The 6000 is much harder and does not require soaking, at least the one I have (the S-3). Wears slowly and cuts fast.

Peter

The Kagero is a good choice. They are already sharp out of the box, have superior edge holding, and just as important are easy to sharpen. Western handle is comfortable and it is stainless. It is hard around 64 hrt. best to thin behind the edge & put on a higher final bevel 10-15%.

As said do not cut hard objects but the other 90% of cutting fruits, vegetables, meat without bone it's performance is excellent.

Back