Quantcast
Watanabe Nakiri question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watanabe Nakiri question

Watanabe Nakiri question

I was hoping one of you guys could tell me a little about this blade I just picked up. Today I went to the LA knife expo because I heard Shinichi Watanabe was going to be there. I'm pretty new to J-knives but knew that he was a man worth meeting. I was hoping to pick up a sujihiki from him but he didn't bring any. Not one to leave empty handed I picked up this nice nakiri that just felt great. I would like to point out he was beyond nice, even giving some cookies to my daughter, but there was a bit of a language barrier and I didn't really get what he said about this knife. I was hoping some of you experts who are familiar with his knives, could tell me what kind of steel it is. I believe he said it was blue steel but didn't get much beyond that.

i would bet it's blue steel but i know one thing....u got yourself a great little knife....ryan

I've got a Watanabe nakiri too. It's not the thinnest nakiri out there - in fact it's the beefiest of the 3 that I have - but it's still very nice and I consider it the middle-child in my nakiri lineup. I find that it has a nice weight & balance, probably the best of the three. I think you've picked up a nice one

It looks like a pro line which should be blue steel core with stainless cladding. I have one myself, one of my favorite knives - my wife's favorite for sure. Handle is burnt chestnut.

I have one with a Fish handle. It is my favorite nakiri.

I have one also. Blue steel, stainless clad. I've thought about a handle upgrade, but there is nothing wrong with the handle it comes with.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    hey... sara and i were there too yesterday

What'd score?

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMartell View Post
    What'd score?
    sadly, nothing. I just wanted to see what kitchen knife offerings people had, but i didnt find myself super impressed with anything. Also, it might be worth nothing that i'm not that into hunting knives, etc.

There were some really cool wood pieces for scales and handles though... got me thinking.

I have to ask those of you that have a few Watanabe knives-would you consider ordering his 8-pc. set? Of course, I would have preferred to get it a few years ago, when it was a bit cheaper, & there would be some overlap in knives that I already have (although, surprisingly, not that many small knives), but it still seems like it should be worthwhile...what do you think?

+ Reply to Thread