Quantcast
Watanabe Nakiri question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watanabe Nakiri question

I'm not sure if this is still the case or not but I believe that the sets are not pro version knives, they're the thicker roughly finished ones. IMO these aren't the best knives that he supplies.

true, but at this point, I can't really afford his best knives, as much as I would love to have them-would you you get a bunch of 'average, but good' knives or spend it all on 1 really great knife? (Not a fair question, I know)...

I decided to wait until I could afford the one good knife. Turns out I could never afford that one knife. Both Watanabes I have were gifts.

I only have 2 Watanabes-the kaibou & the 180 gyutou (which is really a petty)-they're very nice, but sort of niche knives-I think I would use the kaibou more, if I could figure out how to use heavier knives-that's my problem w/ the deba-the single edge, the weight-it just doesn't seem to be something you reach for...

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    true, but at this point, I can't really afford his best knives, as much as I would love to have them-would you you get a bunch of 'average, but good' knives or spend it all on 1 really great knife? (Not a fair question, I know)...
    Why isn't it a fair question?

I think you would be better served with one really good gyuto, rather than several average knives.

Most people can do 90% of what they need to in the kitchen with a gyuto.

The $320 that gets you eight average knives from Watanabe will buy an excellent 210mm Pro gyuto with change left over ($280).

Or take that $320 and go shopping with Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports. $280 will get you a Konosuke white #2 210mm wa-gyuto and a 120mm wa-petty.

Thanks for the info guys. It's good to know the skinny on your knives. It's a fun little knife. The misses really likes it.

I'm sure you guys have seen that but over on the 'other' forum is a very reasonably priced customized (amboyna handle) Watanabe pro nakiri for sale...