Incurable edge junkie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctrippy1

Reaction score
Greetings from Atlanta, Ga. Been lurking here for quite a while, thought it was time to join. I was a cook/chef for 20+ yrs. now retired. Actually disabled by Rheumatoid arthritis. I always loved good, sharp knives, learned to free-hand well enough to keep my knives up many yrs. ago. I've had Wusthof, Henckels, lots of Dex-Russels, some old Sabatier and other carbons( not Japanese).

A couple of years ago I got a set of Norton Waterstones 220/1k,4k/8k, and found a whole new world of sharpness. Unfortunately a year ago I lost everything in a house fire. So, I recently got a fairly cheap diamond bench stone, 1k and 5k Naniwa SS and a couple of balsa strops with chrome-ox and .25 diamond spray (prob. overkill with the strops but I love a polished edge). Oh, and a cheap Chinese natural that is supposed to be 12k, but I've gotten very inconsistent results with it.

I'm to the point that I am satisfied with how sharp I can get my knives, but I tend to leave scratches and marks all over them. Time to work on correcting that and learning how to polish. I'd like to be able to do a nice kasumi, or as close as I can get with synthetics.

Oh and the knives I have now are Zhen Gyuto in VG-10, Zhen paring VG-10, Yamashin Nakiri in White #1, and a cheap stainless santoku for a beater. I love the Japanese knives especially the White #1, I love to push sharp as far as I can go.

Sorry if that was long winded. Thanks for listening.

Back