Going To Upgrade, Need Help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHT580

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a chef looking for an upgrade, and was wondering if I could get a little input/feedback.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto, Kiritsuke, Deba, and Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8-9", 8-9", 5-6", 6"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Let's go with $900

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
JCK Fuh-Rin-Ka-Zan White Steel #1, Najiri Finish: Gyuto, Sujihiki, Petty, Santoku, Nakiri

I cut out the last part of the questionnaire thinking it might be easier to elaborate in my own words what I'm looking for. I'm sorry!

I bought this set as a starter to get myself acquainted with Japanese knives. I actually really enjoyed these knives: they're easy to maintain, high edge retention, easy to sharpen, and are overall comfortable to use. I did not like the sujihiki that much though; it was double-bevel and I would want to replace it with a traditional Japanese yanagiba or kiritsuke. That being said, I've found that with how I operate, I would probably get more traction out of one nice gyuto than having the gyuto, santoku, and the nakiri. I probably used the petty the most, and found it to work really well. Might even replace it with the white steel #2 version with kurouchi finish.

I've been up all night reading... It seems the more I read, the more options I find appealing, and the farther I am from an end point. So, I need help; and here are some sure-fire things I would like, but would not have to stick with given "overall satisfaction":

1. I definitely want a Gyuto, 210mm would be perfect. Same goes for a 150mm Petty, and 240mm Kiritsuke. Deba I could swing 135-150mm.
2. I really love/want the kurouchi finish
3. I'm into white steel #1, haven't tried #2, definitely don't want stainless, and am not that interested in blue or super blue.
4. I'm not looking to spend big on either the petty or the deba; I'm focusing most of the expense on the kiritsuke and gyuto. The petty I had worked well for me. I would want something comparable, with aformentioned finish, probably $100-150 range. The Deba can fall within the same range.
5. I'm flexible, I set a cap at $900, but I'm willing to push if I think it's going to keep me for at least a few years. A lot of the kiritsukes and gyutos I've been browsing are sitting in the $300-600 range.

That's all I can think of for now; any input is appreciated! Thank you for the help!

P.S. Any input on an afforadable ceramic honing steal would be awesome as well! I currently use a diamond steel that's really good with polishing, but I would like to try out ceramic.

Tanaka makes some good affordable deba's with a kurouchi finish and they are white steel I believe. I would get one if I had more money.

I have the messermeister cermic rod and I think it is great. Especially for the $20 I paid for it.

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion; I'll go check them out right now.

$20 for ceramic sounds like a done deal to me.

Here's a few things I've been considering if anyone has any input:

http://www.**************.com/taku21wa.html

http://www.**************.com/tanaka.html

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/gesshin-ajikataya-210mm-white-2-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html

I've also been looking at:
-Masamoto Hon Kasumi KS series; specifically the kiritsuke yanagiba, and debas
-Sukenari Hon Kasumi Shirogami No.2 Series
-Yoshihiro Petty and Gyuto knives, both white and blue

I take them through stones first, a 1k to a 6k, finishing on 8k. The diamond rod is a f. dick left over from my school set from way back. I go once or twice on the steel only after excessive use; works well to reset the edge for me. I'm looking to replace it with messermeister greasedbullet mentioned, or this http://www.**************.com/id12cerodwna.html

Better reset the edge by stropping on your last stone, if that doesn't work the one before, and so on. A diamond rod or even a ceramic one will destroy c.q. fatigue the edge. So with next sharpening session you will have to start -- unnecessary IMHO -- with a coarse stone. It all will eat your edge.

Oh, damn. Thanks for the tip! I guess I can forgo the steel entirely. On that note, do you have any suggestions for an affordable lapping stone? I've been using a diamond plate stone for now but it's not the best.

Atoma are good. Dmt are good and cheap. Or just google flattening stone. The first one I ever got was like 20 bucks and worked fine. Just run your hand over the stone to make sure any course grains were left behind on the stone.

I use a dmt right now to lap my stones. I never used anything else after reading about a lot of lapping stones breaking or being ineffective. Mine is 200x right now; would finer or coarser grit be better, or does it matter?

I use a dmt right now to lap my stones. I never used anything else after reading about a lot of lapping stones breaking or being ineffective. Mine is 200x right now; would finer or coarser grit be better, or does it matter?

Latest posts

Back