Japan woodworking

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian5527

Reaction score
Any reviews of this site and their knives? I found out about it through this forum, however don't know too much about them. Sounds like there is a little wait time for delivery. Also I'm guessing F&F might be up in the air. Read a few reviews that the grinds and finishes of some of their products vary. Awesome prices, but then again I guess that's what's to be expected. Thanks for any input!

I've bought a "lot" of woodworking equipment from them over the years, and a yoshikane 240 gyuto back when they had an actual retail outpost. I can't think of a single issue with them over the years, though I should add most of my experiences were 6-8 years ago.

I've made 2 orders so far, acquiring 3 Shigefusa knives. Service was excellent. No delays on delivery, 1-800 number for questions, staffed by English speaking staff from Woodcraft, answered my concerns. My only disappointment was seeing that they charged me sales tax because I live in R.I. Shipping to the border state south of me would have saved 7%. That felt disappointing. The Shiggs were wonderful and well priced, exactly as good as their reputation promised. Others have said they placed orders and were later informed that product was out of stock. I experienced that for a $28 item on one of the orders. They never charged me for the back order though...thus the inconvenience was minor. I'm already plotting my next JW purchase...recommended seller

Japan Woodworker?

they used to have a store in Alameda (if we are talking about the same store). serious hardware. i bought a couple of high end swedish axes from them..and drooled over the kitchen knives section..but i didnt know jack about knives, so i passed. i found them during the "Store closing" time, when everything was 20% off.

i am bummed i didnt bring enough money for some of their store worktables. badass ones with built in vices and things.

I have bought a Shig from there, several months ago. The transaction was easy and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I bought a Takagi Honyaki 240mm about 6 years ago for only 237.00. Got a Stepan ebony rehandle on it. Beefy chisel type grind razor sharp, extra weight made it a superb lobster blade.

Ive picked up a few knives from them, no issues at all.

Sad to see them close their shop. There's nothing like handling a knife before you buy.

i am tired of receiving a catalog from them every 10 minutes. such a waste of paper.

I've been buying woodworking tools from Japan Woodworker for over 35 years but the owners of the original store retired and sold the business to Woodcraft. They seem to be going through a transition period where the new owners are gaining knowledge of the Japan products. I've never had an issue with their products or service including an order a few weeks ago.

Back