Quantcast
#1 is Done - FINALLY!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: #1 is Done - FINALLY!!

Dave this looks great.

Congrats, Dave! I think the handle looks too busy with that pin in the bolster, though.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    How do you suggest folks sharpen? Is it possible to reproduce the three bevels, or do you suspect most folks will cut right through that and leave a typical bevel(s)? Or would you suggest convexing?

There's only one edge bevel. The three bevels are up the side of the knife and will not come into play with sharpening.

I have no business commenting but I can't say I like the micarta either and aesthetically, odd numbers are generally preferred for most things. If you want to put a noticeable pin in the bolster like that maybe it would work if you lost on of the other pins in the handle.

Looking good, Dave.

I wouldn't put any marking on the blade besides' maker's mark. Most people who will buy your knives will know what steel you used and most probably won't care if it cryo treated or not, as long as the performance lives up to the expectation.

I would also use micarta pins in the bolster, so they are as least visible as possible. Otherwise, the handle looks too busy taking away from the wood figure. Damn, I just saw that David posted the same thing, almost word for word. Funny.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    There's only one edge bevel. The three bevels are up the side of the knife and will not come into play with sharpening.
    Now that I think about it, we covered this in your class (if I could find a good emoticon for shame, I'd insert it here). I misunderstood your post. My bad!

That is sweet knife and congrats on finishing # 1...I am not sure how much my opinin is worth especially considering I am a huge fan of most of the work I see on this forum but I like the look without the bolster pin.

Well I think it's pretty clear that most don't care for the silver bolster pin and that's OK by me since it wasn't in the cards anyway. I had already ordered a boatload of black micarta pinstock so that's the direction I'll be going. It's real great to hear everyone's opinion on this though.

Oh BTW, I'm 100% certain that I'll use different materials for bolsters in the future but the time being micarta is going to be the stuff I'm running with.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I wouldn't put any marking on the blade besides' maker's mark. Most people who will buy your knives will know what steel you used and most probably won't care if it cryo treated or not, as long as the performance lives up to the expectation.
    i agree, less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Oh BTW, I'm 100% certain that I'll use different materials for bolsters in the future but the time being micarta is going to be the stuff I'm running with.
    I think you are just playing with us, and in the future you will offer some re-bolstering coupons once you show off some super sexy mokume bolster

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson