Quantcast
#1 is Done - FINALLY!! - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: #1 is Done - FINALLY!!

Hi Kyle,
    I'd love to say yes but at this point I'm not sure I can do that. I'm trying some new things on the side so let's see where I go from here.

One of the things that isn't evident as a problem is balance. A metal bolster adds a lot of weight to what is already a handle heavy style of knife (western) and then add in a thin blade grind and heavy stabilized woods and the bolster choice can really make a difference in how the knife feels and works for you. I'm very concerned about this so the issue of having troubles fitting metal bolsters is only part of the problem that I'm trying to figure out.

I am very sorry if this black bolster option isn't exactly what you're looking for though, I really want you to get a look that suits your tastes. If it's at all possible I'll accommodate where I can.

Dave

I just mounted black micarta bolsters to knife #2 using a black pin, we'll see soon how this looks.

I wonder if it's possible to remove more material from the tang (drill more holes) or material from the scales (hollow them out) to bring the balance forward. I think drilling some big holes in the tang Between the bolster Pins might be a possible solution.

This gets brought up in knifemaking forums often and the consensus seems to be that the weight of the extra epoxy being held by the holes with be nearly the same as the steel removed. I've obviously never tested that so I'm just repeating what I've heard.

The better way seem to be narrowing the tang which is what I'm doing.

That makes sense. How many knives do you have on order?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Hi Kyle,
    I'd love to say yes but at this point I'm not sure I can do that. I'm trying some new things on the side so let's see where I go from here.

One of the things that isn't evident as a problem is balance. A metal bolster adds a lot of weight to what is already a handle heavy style of knife (western) and then add in a thin blade grind and heavy stabilized woods and the bolster choice can really make a difference in how the knife feels and works for you. I'm very concerned about this so the issue of having troubles fitting metal bolsters is only part of the problem that I'm trying to figure out.

I am very sorry if this black bolster option isn't exactly what you're looking for though, I really want you to get a look that suits your tastes. If it's at all possible I'll accommodate where I can.

Dave
    Even though I mentioned that a metal bolster would look more appealing, it's not a huge concern either. I'm just brainstorming here. But I'm not concerned with little details. Honestly, when you posted the picture of the knife with the exposed pin with the mokume bolsters I didn't even notice an issue with it. If you would have shipped me that knife I would have never thought the pin was a problem.

Actually, the exposed screw kind of reminds me of the intentional bolster pin. In person, I'm sure there's absolutely no confusing them, but in photos it's not that far off!

I've heard that from a few people but yeah if you saw it in person it was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    How many knives do you have on order?

I'm afraid to count but I believe it's over 20.....maybe 25.

Yikes! You'll be a grind master by knife 25!