Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staining a wa-handle?

Staining a wa-handle?

So this may be a silly question but have any of you ever stained a wa-handle? Is there a chance it could damage the knife?

ho wood doesn't take stain well and has no figure to accentuate. Salty a while back stained his handles black coated them with poly. No, it won't damage your knife.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I see, thanks for the insight. I was trying to think of a way to get some of the lighter colored Ho wood handles to take on a slightly darker color. I have a mineral oil and beesewax mix that I've used to treat the handles and that darkened them up slightly.

I have had no problem staining ho handles. They will darken, but there is no "grain" to highlight.

If you just want them darker, then no worries.

Lately I've been using tung oil on my handles. Two or three coats gives a nice smooth, water-resistant finish, and darkens the wood slightly. It darkens to just a shade or two deeper than the blonde horn ferrules on them. I really like the contrast. Note that you want to get pure tung oil, not polymerized, nor with driers or thinners. Lee Valley sells it: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...at=1,190,42942. It smells nicely nutty, too.

never thought about it, but that sounds like a good idea for my bored states. I might try sanding down one of my crappy handles with a low grit, dye it and coat it with some resin, or wrap it with some carbon fiber. Maybe I might go for that 60's rainbow tie die look.

I use a mixture of about 90% pure tung oil and 10% orange oil. The addition of orange oil makes the oil penetrate the wood deeper and also helps speed up drying/polymerizing.
    I submerge the handle in a jar filled with the oil mixture for a few days, then I put the knife to dry on the window sill in broad daylight, applying another coating of oil each day, for about 5 days. Then another few days rest in broad daylight and you are done. Afterwards, the handles are water and stain resistant and haven't lost any of their haptic properties.

+1 for orange oil. I sometimes cut with carnauba and beeswax or just use it neat. Lookee here...

errr... the swarf also helps to stain the wood.

Not sure if this is Kosher but, I have actually taken a mini torch and lightly burned ho handles. I then oil it down really well.... darkens the wood, and you can add a controlled pattern, if your good with the torch...don't suggest this if you have plastic ferrule, as it will probably melt.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    errr... the swarf also helps to stain the wood.
    To prevent staining during sharpening I wrap the handle in fresh wrap when I'm doing more than a touch up.