Best polishers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
Hey anyone know what the best polisher would be to remove scratches just above the bevel (from possibly being steeled?) or just the blade face from being taken in and out of the blade protector

For reference it is HD steel from Konosuke

high grit sand paper and micro mesh I think. Or wait till you need to thin it, or get it professionally done. I cant think of a way that will match the current finish so you won't need to do the whole blade though.

I was figuring micromesh, but will it get rid of scratches?

The only real way to get rid of scratches is to start with something that is equal to the size of the scratches you are trying to remove. Then progressively move up through your finer grits.

no expert here , but this is what I have done with a bit of sucess.

I had scratches from me learning to sharpen on a few different knives. Some were down closer to the edge and I was able to just go up through my stones to 6K and get those out with work (the work was simply making the finish appear even, not getting the scratches out).

The rest I did a couple of things. One I used jons erasers on and then used flitz, the others I actually used different compounds on a felt strop and just polished the entire blade edge. I have a few different diamond spray from my razor kit and that worked really really well.

If you look around a bit you'll find there are different sets of micromesh pads---some of them go down to fairly coarse grits.

Might add be careful not to cut yourself sanding out scratches on blade face above the edge. Unless it is a Drawer Queen or fancy Damascus, the scuffing will not effect the knifes performance at all.

I have used a stone to put a nice mist finish on the softer iron on my well used yanagiba, not using much these days. Even my spa Hiromoto is showing some wear. Dave did such a good job thinning it, cuts very well. Including a couple of fingers as have used it as a pass around to show students what it is like to use a very sharp excellent cutter.

Back