Looking for Shun-like Japanese petty 9-10 cm without bling

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I've been on the search for a good 9-10 cm petty for a long time. Eventually I ended up getting a Shun 9 cm petty knife. It's this one:

W1000-H600-dm0716.jpg

This knife feels perfect in the hand. This is very important to me, since I hold the handle fully in the hand when peeling stuf..

However, I don't like the bling-bling damascus on it. My petty should be very basic. And stainless. I know there is one other petty with a very similar profile and handle: the Zwilling Miyabi 9 cm petty made of ZDP-189. Same profile, same handle, and even a better steel. But this knife has even more bling-bling:

zwilling-miyabi-zw34372-091-d1.jpg

I thought there were no real J-knives with a similar profile and such ergonomic handles. However, tonight at a visit to a local shop, I discovered a MCusta knife that meets my wishes quite closely:

It has a comfortable handle. More a wa-handle than a yo-handle. A similar blade profile to the Shun and the Zwilling Miyabi. But still a bit too much bling bling with the damascus on the blade.

Then I saw the next one. Also a MCusta, but now without a damascus blade. Perfect! Only... this is only available at a minimum of 11 cm, whereas for me the max is 10 cm.

So to summarize this story. I am looking for a 9-10 cm petty with a blade profile like the Shun (which is similar to the Mcusta's and the Zwilling myabi). A handle that feel well in the full hand is important. I want no damascus or any other bling. And the steel should be stainless.

Do you know whether any such knives exist?

Thanks!

You could just sand the sides of your petty to 800 grit...

I went through a number of petties before finally finding the VERY excellent 90mm Itinomonn. Comfortable D handle that is large enough so my hands don't cramp like they do on those tiny handles. Blade height is only 19mm which again helps comfort.

Thanks guys! The Gesshin Ginga actually looks a lot like what I'm looking for. (The "just" Gesshin one seems to have too little of a rounding.)

Squilliam: do you mean completely sanding off the damascus cladding? I've no idea how much work that would be and what I would be left with. Have you?

You do not sand off the damascus as it makes up for most of the knife thickness, but after sanding it with not too fine sandpaper the damascus pattern (that was etched to become visible) would be much weaker (if visible at all)

Also look at Yoshikane SKD (WA or western) at epicedge

Thanks! Will starting with 800 grit sandpaper already remove most of the damascus/make it much less visible?

I love Yoshikanes, try Yaxell too. They are comparable to Shuns in principle and have a range with no bling.

Thanks, MrOli. I was able to find a hammer finished Yoshikane at Epicurean edge. But not a completely plain petty. Have you got a link for me?

If you do end up sanding it, please post pics of the finished product. I would like to see it.

Back