Ashi Hamono knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffG

Reaction score
HI all, my name is Jeff and I just found your site a couple days ago. Very impressed with the knowledge as I am in the process of becoming a first time "true" knife buyer. I am wondering if any of you have experience or an opinion on the Ashi Hamono "with mother" 2 knife set. I saw it on JKI and during research found their website which also offers it for cheaper but haven't looked into the shipping and currency exchange fees to see which route I go if those are what i purchase. If I go with those I will also need a recommendation on a pairing knife as that is not included.

The other "set" i am looking at is the 3 piece Tojiro DP Damascus. I saw a 6 piece set of same but do not like the universal block that is included for around $60!! I can buy the 3 piece, and a Tojiro utility, shears and their magnetic stand for around same price so that might be what I decide to do also but again would like opinions on the knives. also, has anyone used a magnetic stand or is a magnetic wall strip better?

Thank you in advance for your help and next I will be bugging you all for sharpening help, hopefully :)

Jeff

The big difference in the Ashi Hamono's is that Jon from JKI has them made to his standards, meaning that the spine and choil will be rounded, and the fit and finish will be better, as well as maybe some profile modifications? The Tojirp DP are great starter knives, if you are just starting to dive into J-knives, never used a magnetic stand or strip, but a lot of folks here seem to love their wall strips A LOT just my 2 cents

thank you for the reply. If I go the Ashi route I think I will use Japanese knife imports. better to keep my $ in the US and if there was an issue I would much rather deal with someone in the states. I have been doing more research and am just amazed with all the choices out there :dazed:

Make sure and ask Jon to do the initial sharpening for you before he ships the knife. That way you'll know what the knife's potential is ;)

+1 on the ginga/sharpening.

They are amazing knives. I used mine in a pro setting for about half a year and couldn't sharpen it quite up to Jons level, but it still performed like no other.

Ok, I think I am leaning toward the Tojiro Damascus at this point. Do you all think I need to add a utility for being a home cook only? I am a single dad of an almost 2 yr old boy so I slice/chop lots of fruits and veggies, LOTS of chicken, pork (tenderloin on pork so not an issue) and fish (use forschners as a filet so that is covered)

also, is there much difference between the standard Damascus and the Tojiro Flash Damascus?

thanks again

Jeff

I just ordered a gyuto from Ashi Hamono directly. I only heard positive things about his craft.
If you are in US, it makes sense to purchase from Jon; Gesshin Ginga. It comes with Saya and extra bit of $ is worth spending for better customer care.

Ok, I think I am leaning t Tojiro Damascus at this point.
My advice to you is not to pursue the Damascus route too much, unless it's something truly special. If you want Tojiro, just go with Tojiro DP line. And you will save some buck in the process.

How do you plan on sharpening whichever knife you get?

In fact, it would serve you well to fill out the which knife to buy questionnaire as it sounds like you're open to multiple options.

Cheers

Back