Quantcast
What's Your Favorite Paper Test
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Paper Test

What's Your Favorite Paper Test

There are so many variations of paper tests out there to test your knife's sharpness, I was wondering what others did.

I saw the one Chef Niloc did in the Rader pass around, and I have tried that with limited success.

Folded Paper

Also, there is the paper dropping and slicing technique that Salty performed sans garments in that video.

Then there is just the regular paper cutting but with different weights of paper (copy, newspaper, receipt etc.)

I've started doing what I think I saw Kramer do, fold the paper to a rounded edge and slice through it on the bias, and I am also push cutting slow curves in the paper.

I think Dave in his video said to go buy the cheapest copy paper at an office supply store.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

The check clears....

I use the WSJ. I like to test my edge after each stone to see, feel and hear if I'm making improvements or taking a step backwards. I'd like to test with roma tomatoes but they cost too much here in NJ even though I could eat the results.

I have been using thermal paper as it is the most readily available to me. I like to test after each stone as well to see if there are changes in sound or feel as I pass the knife through the paper, thus alerting me to any areas I need to pay more attention to. I have also tried the Niloc method with thermal with limited sucess....I guess I have some work to do as far as sharpening goes.

I just use a post it basically, and there are degrees of how easily the knife cuts it, you can still feel a difference.

I use Yellow Page paper. Much thinner and lighter than copy paper, half as light still as newspaper. I heard of some people push cutting rolling papers (Bambu would be my choice

I have a Yellow Pages book that has half shredded pages in it, I don't bother pulling them out...my wife thinls I'm mental!
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

PAPYRUS....ROLLING PAPYRUS!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    I use Yellow Page paper. Much thinner and lighter than copy paper, half as light still as newspaper. I heard of some people push cutting rolling papers (Bambu would be my choice

I have a Yellow Pages book that has half shredded pages in it, I don't bother pulling them out...my wife thinls I'm mental!
    That is a great idea. I wish I hadn't thrown out my yellow books recently. The nice thing is that it is in a book form. With newspapers I just make a mess.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

i have no problem push cutting newspaper. i can't pass the Colin test with newspaper, though. rhodia writing paper or standard magazine paper is the best i can do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post

I like them to, great for testing push cuts

+ Reply to Thread