Quantcast
Ok help me sort out this food issue please - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok help me sort out this food issue please

Standard practice in college was to roll out of bed, grab the half-full can of warm beer from last night, then snag a piece of pizza from the box on the counter, Breakfast of champions.
    Cold pizza, warm beer. Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Don't get me wrong--I prefer pizza cold. I've ordered pizza and just tossed it straight into the fridge upon delivery.

Just no counter-pizza. Imagine all the hours it spends there kinda festering, while microbial ne'er-do-wells stumble all over it and get stuck in the gurgling, lukewarm cheese like dinosaurs in the tar pits... no thank you sir! AND A GOOD DAY TO YOU!
    Actually, it's like McDonalds buns...they dry out so fast, they don't harbor molds and bacteria--I've seen 3 month old pizza and it just looks dried out. The only real problem is that the fat congeals and leaves a filmy taste in your mouth. Of course, that's what the warm beer is for.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...they dry out so fast, they don't harbor molds and bacteria--I've seen 3 month old pizza and it just looks dried out....
    Ah, reminds me of my "lucky" pizza.

Basically, just a last slice nobody in the group wanted, boxed up and tossed in the trunk of my car. And then promptly forgotten for a couple weeks.

When I eventually found it I peeked in the box expecting some microbial horror show but like you said, it just dried out, totally mummified, looked the same as the night I got it.

So of course I tossed it right back in the trunk (in the name of science).

Checked up on it every once in a while. It never changed. Drove around with it for years.

sr.

Ideally, you could vacuum pack your food. There's a small, home use machine on sale at Tangs Orchard and Isetan Shaw.

What I usually do is to bring it to a boil and leave it there, covered. No probs.. Boil again before you eat it the next day.. So far that's what I've been doing at home and what my grandparents have been doing at home.. We haven't had anything happen to us... If you want to keep it for a long period of time, I'd use the rectangular plastic take-away boxes you get from hawkers that charge an extra 20 cents for take-away, put you food in those and chuck them in the freezer. I find that that is the perfect size for storing in the home fridge and for rapid cooling.

A pot of stew or soup that has been simmering on the stove, covered, is necessarily sterile as it's bee cooking at or near boiling temperatures for 20 minutes to several hours. Given that fact, explain to me exactly how leaving the covered pot to cool on the stove or counter would result in contamination. Spontaneous generation?
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    A pot of stew or soup that has been simmering on the stove, covered, is necessarily sterile as it's bee cooking at or near boiling temperatures for 20 minutes to several hours. Given that fact, explain to me exactly how leaving the covered pot to cool on the stove or counter would result in contamination. Spontaneous generation?
    Bureaucracy.

-AJ

The air. The air in the pot, the air seeping through the lid. There was a Mythbusters episode where they put toothbrushes all over a bathroom and one in the kitchen and they all grew fecal cauliform bacteria, even the brush that was unused and in another part of the building, cause it's just everywhere.

It's also about risk control--that kind of practice opens a channel for something to contaminate it without anyone knowing--a fly weasels it's way in, a person sneezes in it's direction, etc.

If you have to do it, and are controlling it's environment, and plan on re-heating it, or the customers are notified of it's risks, you can get away with pretty much anything...you just have to be careful. There's a whole section in a health dept license for sushi chefs because it's pretty much breaking every rule ever to make any kind of sushi.

Err on the side of caution...

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    The air. The air in the pot, the air seeping through the lid. There was a Mythbusters episode where they put toothbrushes all over a bathroom and one in the kitchen and they all grew fecal cauliform bacteria, even the brush that was unused and in another part of the building, cause it's just everywhere.

It's also about risk control--that kind of practice opens a channel for something to contaminate it without anyone knowing--a fly weasels it's way in, a person sneezes in it's direction, etc.

If you have to do it, and are controlling it's environment, and plan on re-heating it, or the customers are notified of it's risks, you can get away with pretty much anything...you just have to be careful. There's a whole section in a health dept license for sushi chefs because it's pretty much breaking every rule ever to make any kind of sushi.
    +1, especially the risk management part.

-AJ

Don't your pots have lids? Those on mine seal very tightly as the pot cools.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

+ Reply to Thread