Tojiro DP or Kagayaki CarboNext?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambal

Reaction score
In the past I've suggested the Hiromoto AS to friends who wanted to move on from their German stainless knives. This also involved my thinning their new knives slightly when they got them. Now that Nagao-san is no longer making these I wonder what some of you might recommend. I thought of the Tojiro or the Carbonext based solely on what I've read though I've had no direct experience with either. Basic requirements would be around the price range of the two mentioned and stainless, stainless clad or stain resistant. Ease of sharpening would be good too.

Suggestions and reasons why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are fine with a larger boxy handle or you're handy with sandpaper, I'd recommend the Tojiro. It's way less money than the Carbonext and the one I had was really sharp. The Carbonext I have right now is a bit of a lemon. I think there was an issue with the heat treat and I'm not the only one who has that experience although others have not noticed the same thing. The edge was crumbly until a few thinning and sharpening cycles later and even after that, edge stability was not great.

Tojiro DP is cheaper and more stain resistant. As a suggestion Tojiro DP fits nicely to something under $100

For myself or as a "cheap" knife present I would go with Carbonext.

+1 on the tojiro. They are a great transitioning tool between western and jknives. If you pinch grip the handle isn't that big of a deal, and the price vs performance is hard to beat.

Thanks for replies.

I have already recommended the Tojiro DP to a friend in Sydney. And yes, Schanop, also mentioned Knives & Stones. My reservation about the Tojiro was that some observations pointed to the VG10 being a bit difficult to sharpen.

Benuser, I've also noticed the Kagayaki. Anyone with firsthand experience with this line?

Latest posts

Back