West coast collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowichanBay

Reaction score
Hi all,

After mostly lurking for perhaps far too long, time to start sharing.

First off is one of my absolute favorites, courtesy of Mario Ingoglia.

Full disclosure: I've gained a LOT of respect for those of you who take eye-candy pictures, turns out it's very difficult to capture the true beauty of a knife, I didn't even begin to do this one justice. Anyway, here we go...

Mammoth ivory, buffalo horn and snakewood.
301mm heel to tip
45.5mm heel to spine
3.2mm exiting handle
2.2mm mid spine
1.3mm ~3cm from tip
Balance point ~5mm in front of makers mark
Spectacular F&F

Thanks again to all of you who have provided so much info personally and on KKF, greatly appreciated!

IMG_0061.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg

Randy Haas Jr. makes some Bad A$$ Dammy!......It makes me look good!

Mario, long time no see...Hope you're well! Love to see a bunch of your knives start rolling around again;)

Um, did I just see a post from Mario?!
And that is one gorgeous knife!

Just to clarify, I'm definitely not Mario - just a huge fan of his work!

Haha, no we were referring to post #3, the gentleman that made the amazing piece posted up top

Hah - mental note to read the WHOLE string of posts before replying. Noobie mistake for sure. Thanks for the clarification!

Damn that's beautiful. A Mario with HHH Dammy!?!?!

Hi all, I've been away from the forums for most of the last year, busy with life, but have been trying to spend more time here lately, it's been a nice reprieve from the current chaos in my world right now related to a massive move & downsize. Anyway, I've been negligent in posting pictures, figure it's the least I can offer after gleaning so much info from the forums here. Since I'm taking insurance pictures of belongings right now with the move, figured it would be a good time to post some. Every time I try to take a decent picture of a knife it seems to fail miserably, much respect for Marc and the others who seem to have it mastered. Pix to follow.....

Okay, apparently dropbox uploads aren't working. Here's the photobucket version.

The cleavers;

Saji
Harner
Sugimoto #6

Hot Damn! You've definitely upped your game!
It's nice to see that mono carbon Ealy gyuto in such great company. I do miss that one. And I do regret not picking up that Damascus Ealy gyuto when I had the chance!
How you liking that Haburn?

Wilburn
Tsourkan
Carter, 8.09 HG
Mario Ingoglia with HHH damascus
Catcheside
Billipp
HHH

Thats all for tonight, the Japanese collection to be posted another time.

Dig that Billipp too. That guy makes some amazing knives.
Looks like you need to add a Cris Anderson and a Mert Tansu.

Ian's work is incredible, as you know. The hamon is certainly alluring aesthetically, very subtle and understated, incredible handle, form meets function, works great for my oversized hands, really like the profile on that knife, yet for whatever reason it doesn't get used much. The Billipp is without a doubt one of my favorites. Whenever knife newbies come over and they're introduced to the collection, once the overwhelm subsides, the Billipp is often one of the first unleashed upon the cutting board. How would you compare your Billipp to your Tansu? Mert's work intrigues me on many levels, partially because I lived in Australia for a couple years. I'd love to add to the collection, unfortunately I'll likely be shrinking it in the near future rather than expanding:(

Your collection is absolutely amazing. You weren't kidding when you said you had masterpieces =)

Definitely would love a shot at some of these knives also if you are looking to downsize. The DTs particularly =D

Since I was away from the forums, I let my contributor subscription lapse, and my PM system has more than 100 messages I want to keep so can't just purge:( Message sent to admin earlier today to try to sort it out, hopefully another midnight reset will work?? Either way, I'll let you know when my limit returns to 800 messages (yay!) and I can PM again. Cheers.

Since I was away from the forums, I let my contributor subscription lapse, and my PM system has more than 100 messages I want to keep so can't just purge:( Message sent to admin earlier today to try to sort it out, hopefully another midnight reset will work?? Either way, I'll let you know when my limit returns to 800 messages (yay!) and I can PM again. Cheers.

You can always save your messages--there are a few options in the same place you would go to delete the messages (save as txt or html at least I believe).

JCK suji, handle by Mikey
Misono suji
Sakai Yusuke
Heiji
Konosuke fujiyama white #1 set, 270 and 210, handles & sayas by Mikey

Back