Need some interesting canning recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just getting into it and thinking of gifting some for Christmas. Looking for suggestions from you pros! Not really seasonal for much now in December, so I'm thinking interesting stuff like jalapeño jelly, onion jam, etc...

Shoot!

Ah well, did some googling and found a few things, added a twist or two. Think they came out ok for first attempts. Wife has this scrap booking thing that makes easy labels.

image.jpg

Nice Brian. Sometimes these things need to be "put up" for awhile, months even years before the taste/texture will be where you want. This is especially true with cranberry chutney, cured Meyer lemon, confit garlic...

Good tip, thank you. First time canning but I had fun and they tasted good. Looking forward to the chutney next time I do Indian. I simmered with a halved habanero for a little kick. The onion/garlic jam seems like it would be good on a burger. Also learned I should have mixed dry pectin in with the sugar to prevent clumping. Should have known better.

The cured Meyer lemon sounds really good. Is that the same as preserved lemon that would be commonly used in say a tagine?

Brian you can't do Meyer lemons several different ways. After washing in hot soapy water, I slice very thin 2mm, pick out the seeds and layer with salt/sugar to the top. Then I vac pressure the jars and put them up for a month or so. I usually make them once a year. You can do lots of things with them. I like tucking under chicken skin.

i tried meyer lemons and after three months they were simply aweful. can you post a recipe for this

Back