Hola! From Arizona

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm retired, and have developed a passion for kitchen knives. I recently started freehand sharpening. I went through Murray Carters videos, and I've found myself chasing the infinitely sharp kitchen knife. I'm here to learn how to accomplish the impossible, and to learn about the various knives. I've owned a cafe for eleven years, and have a culinary education by spending my evenings, after closing the cafe, in a friends Italian kitchen. He's owned four restaurants in Manhattan, and four in Phoenix area. I have passion for good fresh food, modern, and pre Columbian foods of the Americas.

Greetings, you'll fit right in here. What knives are you using now?

My wife bought me a 240mm Masamoto carbon steel Gyuto. I've used it a couple of times and love it, but I want to keep it in the same condition or better. So, I've been hand sharpening my old Shun chef knife with some Norton stones I've had for some time. Practicing thinning and creating a new edges, then polishing, and checking performance. I have a couple of other knives a friend made me, a petty, and a honesuki. I've been able to repair a broken tip on the petty, and believe I'm getting a pretty good edge. I need more practice, before I tackle the new knife.

Back