Suggestions for a nice Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dz5b604

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Nakiri knife. I've done sone research and given my location (Holland) and budget (€100,-) I've narrowed it down to the following.

Takayuki Damascus Wa-Nakiri 160mm
Yamawaku V2 Nakiri 165mm
Tadafusa S42 165mm.

I'm left-handed and I'm looking for a japanese handle. I prefer some sort of (semi)-stainless steel with a max of 170mm.
I would also prefer some sort of anti-sticking hammered pattern. I do my own sharpening and a good edge retention is always a nice bonus.

So which one of these options would be best or are there better options available within the Netherlands (or European Union).

Yamawaku has pretty reactive cladding, so it you really after (semi)-stainless, then it's a bad option.

Yeah, just read that while the core is semi-stainless the outside isn't. So that's prob off the table for me.

Just saw the Anryu Hammered Nakiri which seems like a great knife so maybe that's something.

I'm now doubting between the Anryu, Takayuki and the Tadafusa.

Hey. Don't know about the one you suggested, but bought this 1,5 year ago and Im very happy with it. A friend gave it a solid thining on a electric grinding wheel, and then it preformed much better.
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...hin-uraku/gesshin-uraku-165mm-skd-nakiri.html

I recently purchased a JKI Gesshin Uraku nakiri to present as a gift this Christmas. The one I received is already thin by my standards. I might try a bit thinner on a razor blade steel but I think not on SKD 11. Could you provide a photo of the choil of your thinned knife? I can take one of mine later if you are interested.

Although it's probably not what you think you want; I'd agree with others here about the JKI Gesshin Uraku nakiri -being an excellent choice in value and performance. It's ambidextrous, I believe 63 rockwell pm steel made by Yoshihiro for JKI. All ratings I've seen of this knife are 5* under either name, and you can see this knife being sharpened (demonstration) by the man behind JKI himself:

[video=youtube;9X3tnBEDQ9w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X3tnBEDQ9w[/video]

The Takayuki Damascus Wa-Nakiri 160mm is a tad short, and you're paying for aesthetics. The Tadafusa S42 165mm comes with a non ambidextrous handle. On Chef, and culinary forums; it's common to see people talked out of things like hammer finish and cullens. That said though, I'd call Jon (JKI) if possible and ask if this is the knife for you before placing any orders.

Problem for me with the JKI Gesshin Uraku nakiri is that with shipping, customs etc. the total costs is gonna be around €150,- so that's a bit over budget and it's gonna take around 3 weeks with the holidays before I get it.

The Anryu Hammered Nakiri looks like the best choice for me atm although it got a bit of a big spine.

Back